A balanced system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After reading the latest Ultimate Hifi guide, there was a lot of emphisis on spreading your budget equally across your system which I have not done over the years. Currently I have a £ 1,000 Naim CD Player, a pair of £ 1,000 Elac jet speakers , a £ 1,000 PMC Sub woofer but £ 6,000 of Naim Pre-Power. My question is this, where and on what would you spend an additional £ 3,000 on, one component or split it up ?

A

Anonymous

Cheers fr0g. Which speakers would you suggest. They will have to work close to a rear studded wall and not be massive. Would you suggest getting rid of the sub for better integration ?

A

Anonymous

Yes, spend it on speakers, mos def. Personally I'd toss the Sub but thats up to your musical taste. Now as for speakers, common logic would say B&W 804 or 805 (B&W seem to go well with everything), Totem and Neat always sound good with Naim, and I'd be inclined to toss in Proac as well

A

Anonymous

should I add PMC to the list as well. Do they partner Naim ok ?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FloJoe"]

should I add PMC to the list as well. Do they partner Naim ok ?[/quote]I rightly don't know... I've never heard PMC either to be honest. They're frustratingly rare in Canada. But somebody on here is bound to know. They seem like thumping good speakers from all I've read.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]After reading the latest Ultimate Hifi guide, there was a lot of emphisis on spreading your budget equally across your system which I have not done over the years. Currently I have a £ 1,000 Naim CD Player, a pair of £ 1,000 Elac jet speakers , a £ 1,000 PMC Sub woofer but £ 6,000 of Naim Pre-Power. My question is this, where and on what would you spend an additional £ 3,000 on, one component or split it up ?[/quote]

Odd question in the absence of any suggestion of what you actually dont like about your system or have you just got to much money in which case I have a great idea ...

The happy drummerman charity ... donations greatly received ... no cappings ...

A

Anonymous

drummerman, checks in the post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My systems too bright, it grates when the sound goes up and it becomes very stressful to listen to over a long period. May be the CD3.5 / FLATCAP is to blame, May be the Elac jets 310i. I,m dissapointed considering the amount if cash I,ve splashed over the years on it. I want something just to listen to and enjoy my Pink Floyd CD ,s on.

A

Anonymous

When I hear "too bright" all I think is "wrong speakers." Let me look up these Elacs... Id you want to soften things up the Neat Momentums are just creamy. Plus the Iso-Baric Bass Loading certainly earns bragging points.

A

Anonymous

Folded Foil Diaphragm and Aluminium Drivers!!! Yes I can see how it might be tiring...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]drummerman, checks in the post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My systems too bright, it grates when the sound goes up and it becomes very stressful to listen to over a long period. May be the CD3.5 / FLATCAP is to blame, May be the Elac jets 310i. I,m dissapointed considering the amount if cash I,ve splashed over the years on it. I want something just to listen to and enjoy my Pink Floyd CD ,s on.[/quote]

7k and not happy. I dont want to make fun of your predicament, I was there a number of times too in the past (not quite 7k) and its no fun. I used to throw money at it, swaped, changed etc. not being able to enjoy music anymore and a couple of times came out of the rut with a completely different set-up. The most telling one was when I swapped to a valve amplifier from a very good transistor one.

I know I constantly repeat myself but you need a good dealer where you have the chance to demo different equipment to prevent any further costly mistakes. Everybody here points the finger at your speakers and whilst this may well be the cause of your problems not everybody likes Naims sound, especially in their earlier incarnations which can be edgy if not well matched.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
get rid of the sub and Elac (nice midrange but that treble is do forward) and shop around for NEAT MF5 or MF7. The system should then be good enough to last you a life time.....er unless you fancy a CDX 2 too! (if you need any help track the almighty pair of Neat just let me know)

A

Anonymous

Speakers it is then. Only problem is they cant be to big. Height and depth are not a problem providing the speakers can be placed close to a rear wall, however the width can only be 20cms / 8 inches max. Recomendations of suitable speakers sold by dealers in the Bristol area would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

drummerman, definatly male , named here after my pets. Yes I listened to the jets when I bought them about 6 years ago and compared them to PMC stand mounts. The jets were so much 'out of the box' open when compared to the PMC, and I was told by the shop that the brightness would calm down once the speakers were run in. At times they are brilliant, especially with Dave Gilmores guitare solos, unfortunatly with voices they are way to shrill. I recently upgraded my Naim 180 to a 250.2, which did not help the Schrill voices but put fantastic control on the music. So here I am, incorrectly balanced system with a desperate need to improve.

A

Anonymous

Morning Thaiman. 1999 Olive fronted 82 plus matching Hi-Cap plus brand new 250.2

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]

Morning Thaiman. 1999 Olive fronted 82 plus matching Hi-Cap plus brand new 250.2[/quote]

NICE...very nice
emotion-21.gif

I can't help you with any dealers down your way as I believe audioX and sevenorks don't stock any Neat, Totem or Kudos!, the main 3 speakers brands for Naim to my knowledge although B&W and Rega should go very well too.

Totem arro are very small room friendly

NEAT MFS can be place very very closed to wall....I had my only 3 inches from back wall and the bass still sound superb

Kudos sound great with Naim at the show although I never bought a pair

Another pair that I thought they sound totally awesome with Naim is Sj”fn Guru, I haven't got a clue who stock them in UK....the pic of guru below

200706111056.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Totems Arro is a lovely speaker for small rooms. They are cri****al clear and sound very open. Thing is, they are dynamically severely re****raint, not surprising with such a tiny driver and can sound edgy with the wrong equipment. I think its a move sidewards but worth a try if you have a small room.

If you can, have a li****en to Rega's R3 or 5 as well. Well balanced, open and punchy. Underrated because of their low'ish co**** but imo one (two) of the be**** speakers for under 1.5k. Work well with Naim.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]

Totems Arro is a lovely speaker for small rooms. They are cri****al clear and sound very open. Thing is, they are dynamically severely re****raint, not surprising with such a tiny driver and can sound edgy with the wrong equipment. I think its a move sidewards but worth a try if you have a small room.

If you can, have a li****en to Rega's R3 or 5 as well. Well balanced, open and punchy. Underrated because of their low'ish co**** but imo one (two) of the be**** speakers for under 1.5k. Work well with Naim.

[/quote]

What happened there? Was'nt swearing for once. Apologies
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

For three thousand quid I think you can extend your Totem haunt to the Staff and Hawk. Should fit and lack the problems the Arro has. Here's a dealer in your neck.
Audio Excellence
65 Parkstreet
Bristol
Telephone: 01179264975

I would really recommend Neat and Totem after hearing your issues.

A

Anonymous

Went to Audio Excellence this afternoon and auditioned the Totem Staff ( hawk not available ) and the B&W XT 4.
To my ears the XT4 was much better then the Staff, more open and bigger out of the box soundstage. Next week end they will get the hawks in for me to audition. I,m worried that many people do not rate the XT4, so is there a risk in not enjoying them after a few hours listening ?

A

Anonymous

I have never heard the XT 4 but it intrigues me. The aluminium enclosure seems fairly unique. I might suggest listening to the Totem standmounters as well, I don't know if they're in your pricerance but the Signature 1 and Mani 2 are the bee's knees. The signature is the speaker that put totem on the map.

It's a shame the B&W 700 series are too wide for you.

Might be worth the drive to Stroud to listen to the Kudos audio stuff too.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"] I,m worried that many people do not rate the XT4, so is there a risk in not enjoying them after a few hours listening [/quote]

I wouldn't care about how other people rate the speakers mate, if you like them that is the most important thing! Put down the money and ask him for 28 days or money back is the way to go, just to make sure the (whichever the) speakers do work in your room.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman, following the audition in the shop I will definatly have to listen to them at home. The shop demo room is massive with a very high ceiling. my living room is,nt, about 5M * 4M. The choice in the shop was very restrictive ie just the £ 1400 pound Totem and the £ 1700 B&W. they dont do the 8 series. Everything else was sub £ 1000. I,m looking forward to next week-end when they are getting the bigger Totems in. Will keep you all updated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts