90s hifi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi ALL

I have limited funds but would like to put together a system from the 90s.

So far I have got an A400 amp and Mission 751 speakers. Need advice on best match CDP ( thinking of Marantz CD63 KI or Pioneer stable platter ) , cables, interconnects and stands. Should I use cabling from the 90s or would modern stuff work ??

Room is 3.5m x 6m - music ranges from classical to rock.

Any ideas welcome - budget about £300 to complete system

Thanks

Mike

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend the Pioneer PDS 801 CD player. Great example with the stable platter cd draw and I chose this over trhe Marantz when I first bought it. And guess what, i am about to sell mine as I have recently upgraded!

A

Anonymous

Hi bud,can`t comment on the rest of the gear you mention,but I know the Marantz cd player was and still is a great machine,I bought one in 98 and it still sounds great,will cost less than £400 too,trust me,get 1 of these and you won`t be disappointed.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
I wrote a long reply but it all went a bit wrong somewhere along the line.

Summary: Pioneer PD9700s go on ebay for about £40 and work very well with the A400 and the Missions. 63 KI will be about £100 more, but probably won't shine unless you upgrade your speakers too.

I'll point at ebay again for stands etc, especially as I picked up some lovely Atacama SE20 stands full of "acoustic" sand, with spikes in all the right places for 14p a couple of weeks ago.

Let's see if it works this time

A

Anonymous

Hi Middleman

Is the 801 one of the the last models made with SPM and how much would you be looking for it ?

Also - do you think the 751s would need upgrading and if so any suggestions given my limited budget

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
The only model that I know of that came after the 801 is the 703, which was cheaper and not quite as good as I recall.

I don't know much about the 751's to be honest although I do have a set of Mission 771's for sale as well. Unfortunately, we can't discuss prices on this forum as its not currently allowed. We would have to get in touch outside the forum to talk further if you were interested

T

the record spot

Keep the 751s - utterly stunning speakers and able to get to astonishing levels of detail; highly analytical. Owned a pair for a few years and loved them. Put them on good stands, site them away from the rear wall, give them good sources and cabling and away you go. If they're in good condition, stick with them.

T

the record spot

In terms of a CD player, you could easily pick up some higher quality older players by the likes of Linn or Meridian. £300 will get you at least a Linn Mimik, Micromega Stage 2 or 3, Meridian 206 and probably a few others. Well worth checking out the for sale pages in the mags. Some dealers will offer a six or twelve month warranty, so do bear that in mind if you're weighing up going down the Ebay route.

Be VERY careful with Ebay for this stuff though; some good bargains, but check the wording very carefully - caveat emptor!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts