840a £400 surely a bargain ????

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Considering getting a dedicated cd player instead of using my CA 650bd and after replacing my CA 650a with the older but far superior 840a, I'm contemplating the matching 840c. It's being sold now for £400, surely this is a bargain buy, is it not???

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It's good if you like the sound it produces and you think the upgrade is "worth it" over what you have now.

Think I heard this pairing some time ago, it sounds pretty good.

Quite handy as a DAC as well.

John Duncan

Actually I've just twigged what you're replacing and am having second thoughts. Are you able to home demo the 840 against the 650BD? And while you;re at it borrow a DACMagic+ and see what that does to the stereo output of the BD?

A

Anonymous

I just bought the CA 840A V2 amp and the 840C CD-player on sale.
Both are going out of production because new models are being introduced in a little while.
The CD-player is absolutely great.
It adds a nice 3D to the sound, plus adds punch to the bass.
Plus you can use it as a DAC too, as mentioned, which I do.
I run the sound from my TV through the CA 840C digitally, and then into the amp.
840C is worth every penny if you ask me.
So is 840A V2 :)

Best,
Henrik

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thought i'd throw my 10 bobs worth in.

I'm selling my 650bd, thought it was ok until my mates 2nd hand, £70 ,Arcam CD62 slapped it all over my living room :cry:

650bd was a big improvement in blu ray audio over my old sony 570 but cd playback was only ever so slightly better.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Snag is, there might be a problem finding an 840c. They're on Richer's 'Last Few' section where it states they may be ex-display/ex-repair, etc. Only a few stores have them, and only a couple of those have more than 1 in stock, so the others might only have their display model left.

I was half thinking an 840 combo might have been a nice change from my Arcam stuff. Oh well, not to be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts