6ohm speakers on a valve amp that has support for 4 ohm and 8ohm

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought the fatman itube 252 and the lovely whafedale diamond 9.1's but haven't connected them as im not sure what will happen since the speakers are 6 ohms. will they work on both ? what will give the better sound, 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
skularatna:I recently bought the fatman itube 252 and the lovely whafedale diamond 9.1's but haven't connected them as im not sure what will happen since the speakers are 6 ohms. will they work on both ? what will give the better sound, 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

They will work fine. My speakers are 6ohm and my AV receiver is 4 or 8. I have it set to 4 but I don't notice any difference in sound when it is at 8.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
thanks... I had a feeling they would work but wanted to be certain. I called wharfedale and they said connect it to the 8ohm channel and should be fine. fatman were adamant they wouldnt work an insisted i should by the fatman speakers!! But I've heard the wharfedale's and they really do sound awesome!!

A

Anonymous

They'll work no problem. We've bought my sister the new Carbon Edition ipod dock to go with some Mission E30s which demand alot of an amplifier, and they work fine.

A

Anonymous

skularatna:excellent... and how does the valve sound compare to solid state?

As WHF put it, "warm metaphorically and literally"! The first thing you'll notice is the "warmth" of the sound and how enveloping it is. You'll also notice that the bass seems to extend much futher and that there's no treble fatigue unless really pushed. Everything gets better and better as you listen as your ears become acustomed to the sound. If you push the amps too hard (they are only little 20-odd watters) they will tend to compress the sound a bit because the power supply can't keep up with powering the valves, but this is rare and also why it's best to use 89db+ sensitivity speakers (but the Wharfey Diamonds are quite easy to drive, so no problems there).

They are much better than that Onkyo/Denon micro system rubbish!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Tube amps have 4 and 8 ohms outputs because, unlike SS amps, they have output transformers, which match the tube's impedance to the speaker's impedance.

I have tried my tube amp with 8, 6 and 4 ohms rated speakers. Usually, with 6 ohms speakers, it works better with the 8 Ohm output. The 8 ohm output will actually exagerate a bit the bass response; the 4 ohms output will give you less bass, and a slightly brighter sound.

However, there is a tradeoff when using the 8 ohm output: with some material (for instance, really loud ketteldrums), the speaker's impedance can be too heavy for the amp, and you can have audible distorsion. I mean real noise coming from the speakers. But that's only on music peaks at certain low frequencies.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Excellent... all this positive news is making me excited!! My amp arrives tomorrow can't wait to test it. I've heard the wharfedale's and they sound crisp!! combined with the valve amp... im sure I'll be in for a real delight.

my brother has a onkyo tx-sr650 and while it's sound is outstanding for blu ray movies, I dont believe it does music justice, sometimes it has the tendency to drown out the treble creating too much of a oomf effect. From what I hear the valves will give me the feeling that the music is live!!

matthewpiano

skularatna:
Excellent... all this positive news is making me excited!! My amp arrives tomorrow can't wait to test it. I've heard the wharfedale's and they sound crisp!! combined with the valve amp... im sure I'll be in for a real delight.

my brother has a onkyo tx-sr650 and while it's sound is outstanding for blu ray movies, I dont believe it does music justice, sometimes it has the tendency to drown out the treble creating too much of a oomf effect. From what I hear the valves will give me the feeling that the music is live!!

...and the top end and midrange of the 9.1s is absolutely stunning for the money. Very capable little speakers indeed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts