65ST50 or 55VT50

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Please help me out with my dillema.

Yesterday I finally found the time and went to check out the new Panasonic plasmas.

I end up with two models, however due to budget constrains not sure which one to choose.

The two are the 65 inches ST50 and the 55 inches VT50. The price is simillar, therefore I reall need your help whether I should go for the bigger size or for the VT model (if the picture quality is much better in order to sucrifice the size of the screen).

After reading some reviews, it seems that the ST models has a bit more crosstalk than expected and the dual processor of the VT model seems to handle better the colours (they look outstanding).

The TV will be placed in my living room (which is quite big) and will be used mostly to watch movies in the afternoons.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I've checked the 65VT50 and it was fantastic. The ST model they had only the 55 inches one.

I sit like 4 m away from the tv. But the living room is quite big.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello streetball,

You've twice mentioned that your room is quite big, without giving us actual dimensions - "quite big" is subjective. I mean, some people think that a 42" television is "quite big". My parlour is 18'2" by 14'3" and 10'6" high, which I would say is only just above medium size. And my 64" Samsung in the parlour looks big but not overwhelming.

However, your exact Panasonic 55VT50 versus 65ST50 has also occurred to other people! See this exact question by Hades and answer by David McKenzie. David definitely favours going for the bigger ST50. Also read my general question at post number 35, and then my specific question about the 65ST50 compared to the 65VT50 at post 38, and then finally the definitive answer at post 41. Finally, see posts 18, 19, 21 and 22 of this similar discussion.

One important factor for you is that you will be watching movies in the afternoons. Having two months ago seen the 50VT50 next to the 55ST50, the ST series has slightly less deep blacks (but plenty deep enough even by Pioneer Kuro standards), but the ST50 series is brighter than the VT50 series, which for films in the afternoon .....

You'll have seen many reviews online, but maybe not this one of the American version of the 65ST50, which includes a video! The text of the American review says "its bright-room performance is better than we've seen on any plasma TV, ever.", which again favours it over the 55VT50 for afternoon films.

Two drawbacks of all the 2012 Panasonic plasmas are (1) that they do not have a 15-pin VGA input for analogue computers, which means buying a VGA to HDMI adapter from Maplin or suchlike and (2) the desktop stand provided with the 65ST50 does not swivel.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Hello streetball,

You've twice mentioned that your room is quite big, without giving us actual dimensions - "quite big" is subjective. I mean, some people think that a 42" television is "quite big". My parlour is 18'2" by 14'3" and 10'6" high, which I would say is only just above medium size. And my 64" Samsung in the parlour looks big but not overwhelming.

However, your exact Panasonic 55VT50 versus 65ST50 has also occurred to other people! See this exact question by Hades and answer by David McKenzie. David definitely favours going for the bigger ST50. Also read my general question at post number 35, and then my specific question about the 65ST50 compared to the 65VT50 at post 38, and then finally the definitive answer at post 41. Finally, see posts 18, 19, 21 and 22 of this similar discussion.

One important factor for you is that you will be watching movies in the afternoons. Having two months ago seen the 50VT50 next to the 55ST50, the ST series has slightly less deep blacks (but plenty deep enough even by Pioneer Kuro standards), but the ST50 series is brighter than the VT50 series, which for films in the afternoon .....

You'll have seen many reviews online, but maybe not this one of the American version of the 65ST50, which includes a video! The text of the American review says "its bright-room performance is better than we've seen on any plasma TV, ever.", which again favours it over the 55VT50 for afternoon films.

Two drawbacks of all the 2012 Panasonic plasmas are (1) that they do not have a 15-pin VGA input for analogue computers, which means buying a VGA to HDMI adapter from Maplin or suchlike and (2) the desktop stand provided with the 65ST50 does not swivel.

Great post and extremely useful links.

It's also worth noting that the ST has a more reflective screen than the VT, with the latter doing a better job of rejecting ambient light. If that's an issue in your viewing environment, then it may give you pause for thought. Otherwise, I'd opt for the ST, with a view to professional calibration once the TV's bedded in.

I'm contemplating the 65ST50 myself (can I really squeeze one into my living room)????? :?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Alas, you still don't tell us exactly how big your room is! No tape measure to hand?

Oh, by the way, a mistake for which I apologise. Tonight I examined a TX-P55ST50 at Currys at Braehead, and while it does not take a 15-pin VGA input from an analogue computer directly, I think that the TV does accept a VGA input, but via an adaptor, which I believe is supplied with the set. However, the stand definitely does NOT swivel, neither does the 65" size. However, the 42" and 50" sizes in the ST50 series do swivel. Go figure. The only independent stand for a 65" TV that I have found that will swivel is the Tavolo XL by mform, HERE, but it costs £120 (if a swivel stand is as important to you as it is to me).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Interesting post as I am currently trying to decide between a GT50 and an ST50, I had a brief demo at my local pansonic store both looked superb but not sure if the GT50 is actually worth paying £300 extra for?

both models are the 42" come with 5 year warranty and 2 pairs of glasses.

ST50 £799

GT50 £1099

my heart says GT but my wallet says ST

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Only you can judge whether the extra facilities that the GT50 offers over the ST50 are worth £300, which if you shop carefully can get you up to 30 Blu-ray discs. I can't remember all the extra facilities, but they include THX and ISF certification, better picture calibration options and Freesat. For me, only Freesat would worth paying extra for, but £300?

And reverting to the spirit of the OP's question, for £1,100 at Richer Sounds you could get the 50ST50, with two pairs of 3D glasses and a 5-year guarantee. I'm sure that a 50" ST50 will have more impact than a 42" GT50, even if the GT50's picture is marginally better.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm going for the 42" ST50 I I'm only 1.8m from screen!

not bothered about thx etc, the ST50 looks more than good enough for me and a big improvement over my ageing 32" Philips LCD

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for valuable comments.

I decided to go for the bigger size. Expeting the 65" ST50 this Wednesday.

Could someone please share the optimal picture settings?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 2457

Congrats! Nice TV. Perhaps a nice little review when you have it up and running. ;)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
streetball said:
I decided to go for the bigger size. Expeting the 65" ST50 this Wednesday.

Could someone please share the optimal picture settings?

Glad you've gone for the bigger size, you certainly won't regret it.

I'm not sure about the optimal picture settings. I have a few suggestions that I've seen in reviews, which I'd be quite happy to share with you - but only if you can persuade MI5 that the exact dimensions of your room are not a state secret.

A

Anonymous

well the distance is about 3m from the TV. The room is quite dark, the tv will be used mostly in the evenings for movies.

streetball said:
well the distance is about 3m from the TV. The room is quite dark, the tv will be used mostly in the evenings for movies.

Now that's a large TV for the viewing distance! Hope you've demoed it at 3m distance at the shop. I went for 50 inches as I found the 60-inch Kuro to be too big for a 3m viewing distance.

You should be alright viewing HD. Enjoy your TV! :)

A

Anonymous

The tv is great!!! already used to the size and the other two tvs that I have (40 and 46 inches).

Still waiting for those optimal settings...

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You wont get better settings than doing this....

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I'll not contradict the magazine star ellisdj, but this goes into very, very great detail, and does need extra equipment, like the meter.

streetball said:
The tv is great!!! already used to the size and the other two tvs that I have (40 and 46 inches).

Is there maybe something missing from this sentence?

streetball said:
Still waiting for those optimal settings...

If you go back to the links in my post number 4 of this thread on Tuesday 25 September, the review in AV Forums by Mark Hodgkinson takes you to this test results page

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-ST50-TX-P50ST50B-P42ST50B-P55ST50B-P65ST50B-65-Inch-3D-Plasma-TV-Review_302/Test_Results.html

However, maybe simplest of all are the settings that are given in the Cnet review of the American 55" version of your lovely 65" ST50, again via my previous post, but here

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-559444/panasonic-tc-p55st50-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1332962727578;createThreadPopup

(Sorry, don't know why these links are not showing as active. You'll just have to copy and paste them into a separate internet browser window.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts