admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently looking at home cinema options. I have the option of a 7.1 set up over a 5.1 setup. When playing a disc that is 5.1 using a 7.1 set up, does the amp (Denon 2310) use all 7 speakers? Or are the extra 2 speakers in a 7.1 set up redundant unless playing a 7.1 disc?

If 7 speakers are used with a 5.1 disc, I assume it will result in a better surround sound experience?

I have the option of using CM1's with my CM7's as the rears vs. B&W M1's. If 7.1 is the way forward, I will use the M1's as my rear channels (x4), if 5.1 is the way forward I will use the CM1's.

Any comments are much appreciated

A

Anonymous

Your AV amp will probably have 'listening modes' or DSP algorithms which can take the incoming music signal and create virtual channels to fill in a 7.1 set up.

e.g. a stereo 2 channel source can have the Dolby Pro Logic IIx algorithm applied to it - most AV amps have these - so that you get sound from your 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

You can also take a 5.1 original source and get your amp to 'fill in' the other 2 channels by taking some of the signal from the original channels.

It does not always work since it depends on your set up (i.e. the source material transmission as bitstream or LPCM channels) but it is a common feature; check your manual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts