4k Video Upscaling Processing - Which Component to Trust?

maxsmorris

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Epson LS10000 & Marantz AV8802A - both very capable processors with independent 4k Upscaling ability. Question is - will they conflict? Can you have too much of a good thing & 'overprocess' a signal much in the same way that you can oversharpen an image in Photoshop?

It would be great to think that the two would work in unison. The receiver would process to its hearts content and the projector would have less work to do and would only refine what it's being given. But what if one has significantly better refinement of a source if left to its own unique devices?

Does anyone have experience of this? Can an AV controller like the Marantz have the signal processing bypassed or is it necessary? *scratch_one-s_head*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The ls10000 won't do 4k up scaling it will do a pixel shift which is different.

It's best to try one out or the other and see which gives the best motion / or allows access to the processing options you like

Feeding 4k to the Epson might disable some features is what I mean

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
It depends which components can handle 4k.
My Onkyo TX-NR717 ( yeah, I know, ancient because its more than 18 months old) does 4k upscaling but won't handle 4k pass through. Therefore I upscale at the receiver.
Otherwise I would rely on the device nearest the source, provided, of course, that device upscaled.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think you can take the thought process 1 step further

The ls10000 is a 1080p projector that will display 4k content via Eshift is whatever Epson call it.

So surely by feeding it 4k it must down convert to 1080p to apply the Eshift process?

If this is true it's got to be better to let the Epson do the up scaling /Eshift to save another conversion in the chain which is what makes sense anyway

You cannot over process. If the AV receiver has upscaled 1080p picture to 4K, a true 4K TV / projector has nothing to uoscale, so will display the picture as is.

In your case, your Epson is not a true 4K projector as ellisdj points out. So a 1080p picture will not upscale.

If you have 4K material, your AV receiver will pass it through and your projector will downscale it to 1080p before using its clever processing to display the image.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
You cannot over process. If the AV receiver has upscaled 1080p picture to 4K, a true 4K TV / projector has nothing to uoscale, so will display the picture as is.

In your case, your Epson is not a true 4K projector as ellisdj points out. So a 1080p picture will not upscale.

If you have 4K material, your AV receiver will pass it through and your projector will downscale it to 1080p before using its clever processing to display the image.

Not all receivers will do 4K pass-through, my Onkyo TX-NR717 being a case-in-point. It upscales but won't pass through. Believe me, I've tried. With two different BDPs and a PC with a 4K graphics card.

Benedict_Arnold said:
bigboss said:

Not all receivers will do 4K pass-through, my Onkyo TX-NR717 being a case-in-point.  It upscales but won't pass through. Believe me, I've tried.  With two different BDPs and a PC with a 4K graphics card.

I was only talking in relation to the OP's system. The Marantz supports 4K passthrough.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
bigboss said:

Not all receivers will do 4K pass-through, my Onkyo TX-NR717 being a case-in-point. It upscales but won't pass through. Believe me, I've tried. With two different BDPs and a PC with a 4K graphics card.

I was only talking in relation to the OP's system. The Marantz supports 4K passthrough.

My bad. Consider wrist slapped.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts