4K set up help?

pazzo

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

i have just bought a Samsung UE55JU7000 TV. I have an Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver and a Panasonic DMPBDT700 bluray player. Should I still connect both blu Ray and to to the receiver as usual or as the receiver is not 4K will this prevent the best possible picture quality?? Please let me know the best way to set up? (Without buying a new receiver??!)

Ta

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forums Pazzo,

As you don't have any native 4K content capable devices except your TV I don't believe it's going to make a difference how you set up your system. Your TV will automatically upscale the picture from your Bluray player to fit the 4K resolution, it wont be 4K but upscaled 1080p to fit. If it were me I would plug the Bluray player into the Amp and then the Amp to the TV, that way the Amp will decode the Audio and pass the Video to the TV where the TV will do it's job.

When you get a 4K bluray player (or whatever they will be calling it) then you will need to either bypass your Amp for 4K resolution or buy a new Amp if yoru current one is not 4K pass through capable.

I hope that helps?

Cheers

Rocket

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Alternatively, connect your sources directly to the TV with HDMI cables then use fiber optic or co-axial, or even RCA, cables to connect the audio from your sources to the receiver. You may not get the best surround sound, but you will get some surround sound, and you are assured of the best possible picture.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, anything other than HDMI will not pass HD audio codecs.

From experience you'll get 5.1, which may be enough, but not 7.1 or higher, and the newer so-say higher "quality" codecs won't be supported either.

EDIT - I think your Bluray player has two HDMI outputs. Try connecting one directly to the TV and the other to the receiver, play with the setup and see if you can get the higher quality sound out of the receiver whilst feeding upscaled 4K directly to the TV. It might work, you never know.

Also, I think your BDP has analogue 7.1 outputs. You might be able to rely on the electronics in the BDP and output the sound to your receiver via analogue RCA (phono) cables - all be it lots of them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts