4K Blu-ray Prices

D

Deleted member 2457

inbox4 said:
Has anyone found anywhere offering cheaper prices on 4K discs? All the prices I've seen are expensive and fairly consistent across retailers.
You get 10 per cent off here with your first order:

https://www.zoom.co.uk

D

Deleted member 2457

I have got a HMV loyalty card and get discounts through ordering stuff.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
inbox4 said:
Has anyone found anywhere offering cheaper prices on 4K discs? All the prices I've seen are expensive and fairly consistent across retailers.
You get 10 per cent off here with your first order:

https://www.zoom.co.uk
You get 2 for £30 here too:

https://www.zoom.co.uk/category/2_4k_ultra_hd_for_30

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Although it's nice to know about these, it's ongoing discounts I was looking for. What sort of discounts do you get from your loyalty card?

Years (many, many) I remember buying DVDs and CDs from places like CDWow much cheaper than anywhere else. This is the sort of thing I've been looking for but not found.

Maybe it's cheaper to import from the states, I've not looked?

I'd like to build a collection but at £20+ per film it's going to be very expensive.

D

Deleted member 2457

inbox4 said:
Thanks for the replies. Although it's nice to know about these, it's ongoing discounts I was looking for. What sort of discounts do you get from your loyalty card?

Years (many, many) I remember buying DVDs and CDs from places like CDWow much cheaper than anywhere else. This is the sort of thing I've been looking for but not found.

I'd like to build a collection but at £20+ per film it's going to be very expensive.
You get money off or choose from collectible stuff. The card costs £3 then you have it forever, well worth it. I have so far had £10 off in money.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
inbox4 said:

CDWow (and other companies) were able to offer lower prices (when shipping products from the channel islands) due to a tax loophole that allowed them to not pay VAT on products shipped to the UK mainland on low cost products.

This loophole has been closed so I expect that we won't see similar deals available on 4K Blu-ray.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
At Bestbuy here in the US, UHD BD discs start at about $15 for older realeases going up to $40 for the latest blockbusters. Even at $1.2? to the Pound, by the time you add postage and import duty and VAT on top, I doubt you'll save much over buying in the UK.

Not sure if UHD BD discs are "zoned" like DVDs and regular BDs to only play on one side of the Atlantic or the other, but unless you've got a multi-region player, this could be a problem too.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/ultra-hd-blu-ray-everything-you-need-to-know

scroll down a bit and read the paragraph under the title "Will Ultra HD players play existing blurays".

lets hope it stays this way.

*yahoo*

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I have a feeling that UHD blu-ray will always be niche and prices will remain sky high as a result.

What does everyone else think?...Please convince me otherwise as it would be a shame.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
And fondly hope that it works on my yet to buy Xbox S.

Done my homework now, and it appears UHDBDs, unlike DVDs and ordinary BDs aren't "zoned" so you should be able to play US UHDBDs on UK sourced players in the UK. I say should...

As for economics, a typical "blockbuster" is about $25, which, at the current 77 pence to the Dollar, is about GBP19.25.

BUT you have to pay shipping (say a fiver minimum for slow transatlantic mail) then VAT on the US purchase price, another GBP3.85. So you're probably looking at a total of GBP23.10 plus at least a fiver for shipping, IF you can find a US retailer who can be bothered.

Unless you've got an "uncle" in the US and you plan on having a birthday every couple of weeks (and can therefore avoid the VAT by claiming each individual import is a birthday present or some such nonsense), it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And trust me, the USPS "looses" a lot of mail. A LOT of mail. Which is why people use FedEx, UPS, etc. so frequently over here.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
inbox4 said:
I have a feeling that UHD blu-ray will always be niche and prices will remain sky high as a result.

What does everyone else think?...Please convince me otherwise as it would be a shame.

At some point in the near future I expect they will stop releasing new stuff on DVDs. Like they did with VHS, what, 10 or 15 years ago? Try buying a new WHS player these days. And buying a DVD in Bestbuy (think Currys) is nigh on impossible too. As machines die of old age, people can replace their DVD players with BD players for less than they ever paid - like level of "prestige" or quality for like - for a DVD player 10 years ago. As for VHS, a hugely complex piece of machinery, that's like comparing an Akai reel-to-reel from the 70s with a modern CD player. Not economic at all.

When they stop selling DVDs the consumer will be left with the choice of regular BD or UHDBD. I suspect the DVD audience will step up to BDs while those of us with a bit of cash and a 4K TV will step up to UHDBD over the next couple of years. The prices for UHDBD players have already dropped 25% or more since they came onto the market only 18 months ago, and I expect the number of players available to increase, prices to remain steady or drop.

That having been said, it will take more than re-releasing remastered (just pre-upscaled really) Batman and / or Rambo movies and / or the latest Batman vs. The UCLA Marching Band type CGI cartoons, and a lot more "quality" movies being available before I step up to UHDBD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts