48" OLED TVs

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
I've recently been doing some research with a view to buying a 48" OLED TV and I'm gravitating toward the Sony A9.

This is simply because I've always bought Sony TVs and because my choice is made simple since the A9 is currently the only 48" OLED TV that the company offers.

Nevertheless I'd like to know what people (especially WHAT HI-FI?) think is the best 48" OLED TV currently available on the UK market.

I'd also be very interested to hear from anyone who's had a smallish LED 4K TV that's HDR-enabled, and has then upgraded to a similarly sized OLED 4K TV. What I'd most like to know is how much more detail they could see in the dark shadowy portions of the OLED image than they could see in the LED image. How big is the difference?

So; what do people think?...

Last edited:

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I've recently been doing some research with a view to buying a 48" OLED TV and I'm gravitating toward the Sony A9.

This is simply because I've always bought Sony TVs and because my choice is made simple since the A9 is currently the only 48" OLED TV that the company offers.

Nevertheless I'd like to know what people (especially WHAT HI-FI?) think is the best 48" OLED TV currently available on the UK market...

So; what do people think?...

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
So did I, back in the days of CRT.
Their 'Trintron' gave the best picture for good technical reasons (as a family we bought 11 of them).
Now though, there's no such reason to stick to the brand.

Nice to hear from you Gray!

Right now I have the Sony KD43XG8396 LED TV and it's great for watching 1080p HD broadcast shows and movies.

But not so much for 4K UHD blu rays with HDR. Whilst the HDR produces really nicely saturated colours, it also results in too much detail (especially background detail) being completely swallowed up in deep, dark shadow.

My understanding is that OLED TVs are the best way to take advantage of HDR, so that's why I want to get one.

To be honest though; since I started this thread my intention to get the 48" Sony A9 has simply been reinforced because my understanding is that at that size, there isn't much between them in terms of image quality.

On balance I think it's best to just keep things simple and stick with the brand that I know and trust. Plus there's also the fact that my 4K blu ray player and my amplifier are also Sony, so the compatibility between them is maximized.

Not to mention the fact that I don't understand half of what I read of the technical side of TV reviews and it all leaves me completely befuddled!

But it's always nice to get such a quick response to my question and l'll keep monitoring this thread in case anyone suggests another 48" OLED TV other than the Sony A9, that has such universally glowing reviews that I'd be a complete idiot not to go for it!

Gray

Nice to hear from you Gray!

Right now I have the Sony KD43XG8396 LED TV and it's great for watching 1080p HD broadcast shows and movies.

But not so much for 4K UHD blu rays with HDR. Whilst the HDR produces really nicely saturated colours, it also results in too much detail (especially background detail) being completely swallowed up in deep, dark shadow.

My understanding is that OLED TVs are the best way to take advantage of HDR, so that's why I want to get one.

To be honest though; since I started this thread my intention to get the 48" Sony A9 has simply been reinforced because my understanding is that at that size, there isn't much between them in terms of image quality.

On balance I think it's best to just keep things simple and stick with the brand that I know and trust. Plus there's also the fact that my 4K blu ray player and my amplifier are also Sony, so the compatibility between them is maximized.

Not to mention the fact that I don't understand half of what I read of the technical side of TV reviews and it all leaves me completely befuddled!

But it's always nice to get such a quick response to my question and l'll keep monitoring this thread in case anyone suggests another 48" OLED TV other than the Sony A9, that has such universally glowing reviews that I'd be a complete idiot not to go for it!
It will always be a respected brand and you've got good reasons to stick with it (y)
I chose Sony for my first (26" :)) flatscreen LCD TV - no problems - still works.

Then I spent a year installing TVs for a local retail chain. At the time, Samsungs were the most popular install, but I never liked them - gained massive respect for Panasonic in that job - and it's Panasonic that I currently own.

My brother, strongly loyal to Sony owns both Sony and Panasonic - says that the Sony 'smarts' hinder TV operation at times (enough to stop him going for Sony again).

I've only had CRT, flourescent and LED so far so if I go OLED I will have to research and learn as you're doing.....must admit to being very impressed with a Nephew' s 65" LG OLED.

Let us know what your 48" Sony OLED is like when you get it (can't imagine it being bad ;))

Reactions: WayneKerr and CJR

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
It will always be a respected brand and you've got good reasons to stick with it (y)
I chose Sony for my first (26" :)) flatscreen LCD TV - no problems - still works.

Then I spent a year installing TVs for a local retail chain. At the time, Samsungs were the most popular install, but I never liked them - gained massive respect for Panasonic in that job - and it's Panasonic that I currently own.

My brother, strongly loyal to Sony owns both Sony and Panasonic - says that the Sony 'smarts' hinder TV operation at times (enough to stop him going for Sony again).

I've only had CRT, flourescent and LED so far so if I go OLED I will have to research and learn as you're doing.....must admit to being very impressed with a Nephew' s 65" LG OLED.

Let us know what your 48" Sony OLED is like when you get it (can't imagine it being bad ;))

Yes, I'll try to let you know what I think of the Sony A9 when I eventually get it.

I am aware of how good LG TVs are supposed to be but I just love Sony too much!

As far as Sony Smart operation hindering TV operation is concerned; I do notice that my KD43XG8396 tends to boot up now and again for no apparent reason when I switch it on (i.e. the swirly pattern that eventually turns into the word 'Android'), but I've always assumed that that's normal for a Smart Android TV and just requires a bit of patience to let it do its thing.

The Smart functions themselves have always worked fine on my TV.

Anyway; I say when I 'eventually' get the Sony A9 because there's a certain scary energy prices issue that I have to prioritize first!

Best Regards,
CJR.🙂🖖

Reactions: Gray

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
trying to see the point of 48 inch OLEDs there is no pint at all the standard sizes are 42 50 55 65 70 The size of 48 inches has no merit and i cannot see why anyone would buy one this size at all . Stick to normal sizes and price wise there be little difference .

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi flashgordon1952,

Good to hear from you!

I'm going for the 48" Sony A9 for a very practical reason. .. I have very limited space in my tiny living room and the width of the Sony A9 exactly matches the width of the top surface of my TV cabinet.

Believe me; if I could get a bigger Sony OLED I wouldn't hesitate!

Best Regards,
CJR.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Do you realise you are buying an old Sony OLED model that will probably not have all the functions of a new model the Sony 80k model in OLED will be reduced soon, worth see if that’s available in 48-inches - nope it isn’t the only one I can see is the Sony 48 90k and that’s like £1600! Black Friday is coming up soon too where deals will be a plenty. This deal looks ok:

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
Handy indeed! It's about time TV brands started catering to the smaller TV crowd!
This LG models is a good deal and will probably be more future-proof:

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions but for the reasons I've mentioned in my previous posts, I'll almost certainly be sticking with Sony.

That said; it's nice to know that by the time I get a 48" OLED TV (which probably won't be until early-mid 2023), the choice from Sony will be wider than just the A9 and the prices may well have dropped a bit by then as well.

In the end my choice of OLED TV will be dictated by my budget of £1000 and also on how much I can get for my Sony KD43XG8396.

When I do get an OLED TV I'll also be torn between what for me in particular is a very practical question...

That being w
hether I can find a decent part-exchange deal on my current TV and have the convenience of receiving delivery of the new one on the same day that the old one is taken away, or whether I buy the new TV and have the old one taking up space in my tiny flat while I try to sell it.

Unfortunately my most recent experience of selling old electrical home entertainment equipment is that it takes a very long time. I end up giving up waiting to find a buyer and eventually I just dump it at the local tip! Hence my interest in a part-exchange deal.

So if you or anyone else reading this has any useful advice as to where I might find a decent online part-exchange deal, with a company that has a decent range of Sony OLEDs to choose from, then I'd be very grateful.

So far I'm finding that part-exchange deals seem to be very hard to come by these days.

I should probably mention that I'm banging on about the likelihood of finding a good online part-exchange deal for my KD43XG8396 because I have quite severe mobility limitations. So receiving delivery of the new TV on the same day that the old one is taken away would be absolutely ideal for me. There'd be no exhausting fetching and carrying.

Finally; if there's one TV brand that I keep reading extremely positive things about it definitely is LG. So if in the end I do choose anything other than a Sony OLED TV, it'll almost certainly be LG.

I'm sure that Sony isn't the only great TV brand but the wider I allow my parameters for choosing an OLED TV to be, the harder it becomes to choose one!

This probably sounds terribly cynical but 'Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.'.

Best Regards,
CJR.

Reactions: Freddy

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
Surely they do??

Hi Al ears,

They surely do!!

I was just commenting on how long it has taken TV manufacturers to start catering to the needs of people who don't want a massive TV!

From the posts I've been getting over the last couple of days it's clear to me that TV manufacturers are now catering to that need in earnest, and that there are now quite a few 48" OLEDs to choose from.

Best Regards,
CJR.

Reactions: Al ears
Hi Al ears,

They surely do!!

I was just commenting on how long it has taken TV manufacturers to start catering to the needs of people who don't want a massive TV!

From the posts I've been getting over the last couple of days it's clear to me that TV manufacturers are now catering to that need in earnest, and that there are now quite a few 48" OLEDs to choose from.

Best Regards,
CJR.
Just thought I would ask because, as far as I was aware, most manufacturers have had a full size range for some time
Yes, most modern tech seems to be concentrating on the larger screen size but only because it is more beneficial to have that screen size to play with, and that's where the money is.....

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi Freddy,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions but for the reasons I've mentioned in my previous posts, I'll almost certainly be sticking with Sony.

That said; it's nice to know that by the time I get a 48" OLED TV (which probably won't be until early-mid 2023), the choice from Sony will be wider than just the A9 and the prices may well have dropped a bit by then as well.

In the end my choice of OLED TV will be dictated by my budget of £1000 and also on how much I can get for my Sony KD43XG8396.

When I do get an OLED TV I'll also be torn between what for me in particular is a very practical question...

That being w
hether I can find a decent part-exchange deal on my current TV and have the convenience of receiving delivery of the new one on the same day that the old one is taken away, or whether I buy the new TV and have the old one taking up space in my tiny flat while I try to sell it.

Unfortunately my most recent experience of selling old electrical home entertainment equipment is that it takes a very long time. I end up giving up waiting to find a buyer and eventually I just dump it at the local tip! Hence my interest in a part-exchange deal.

So if you or anyone else reading this has any useful advice as to where I might find a decent online part-exchange deal, with a company that has a decent range of Sony OLEDs to choose from, then I'd be very grateful.

So far I'm finding that part-exchange deals seem to be very hard to come by these days.

I should probably mention that I'm banging on about the likelihood of finding a good online part-exchange deal for my KD43XG8396 because I have quite severe mobility limitations. So receiving delivery of the new TV on the same day that the old one is taken away would be absolutely ideal for me. There'd be no exhausting fetching and carrying.

Finally; if there's one TV brand that I keep reading extremely positive things about it definitely is LG. So if in the end I do choose anything other than a Sony OLED TV, it'll almost certainly be LG.

I'm sure that Sony isn't the only great TV brand but the wider I allow my parameters for choosing an OLED TV to be, the harder it becomes to choose one!

This probably sounds terribly cynical but 'Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.'.

Best Regards,
CJR.
The only ones I know who do part exchange are Spatial Online but at the moment they are not including TVs but will probably continue in the future and Samsung UK online. I am sure the Sony 48-inch 90K OLED will comedown in price though. Here’s Spatial exchange form:

The other is Samsung online do trade in discounts:

£300 off this Samsung OLED with trading in your Sony TV bringing it down to £1050 including discounts. John Lewis currently sell this TV for £1500 but that comes with a 5 year warranty. The Samsung online deal is just 1 year warranty at this moment in time. I think Samsung are suppose to do 48-inch OLED or QD-OLEDs they are now. Suppose to be the second best TV on the planet behind the Sony QD-OLED TV the Sony 55A95K. They might also come out with a 48-inch QD-OLED next year.

Last edited:

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
The new Sony OLED is £1399 at Costco at the moment with plenty of time to come down:

CJR

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everybody for all your suggestions and advice!

I now know a lot more about the range of 48" fully HDR-compatible TVs, so I've got a lot to mull over and will no doubt be in a much stronger position to get my ideal TV when I get around to it.

By the way; I'm in England so I'm only interested in buying from the UK.

Also; to bring the discussion down to earth I have to hold off on buying a new TV for a while because of the UK currently experiencing a severe cost of living crisis. Energy bills are about to go through the roof and right now nobody knows exactly by how much they will increase. But a lot of people are absolutely terrified - and that's not an exaggeration!

Anyway when I get my 48"(probably Sony) OLED TV I'll get back on here and let everyone know.

Best Regards,
CJR.

Reactions: Freddy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts