4:3 Tablet Screens For Video

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a tablet for watching internet and videos about the house. It'll be some ripped DVDs, YouTube, iPlayer and Sky Go. A lot of them seem to be 4:3 based. I've seen 2048x1536 screens like on the iPad. With widescreen stuff you'll have bars top and bottom or you could expand the video to fill the screen though lose some picture off the side. Then there are other screens that are 1280x800 like the Nexus 7. This is something like widescreen (I don't think it's exactly 16:9?).

The extra depth to the sceen will be good for web sites though the above issue exists for video on 4:3 screens. Or would you go for a proper widescreen display though lower ppi? Just looking for some views on it before I buy something.

salparadise

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally I have never had any issue with the aspect ratio when watching movies or tv shows on my ipad. A bigger annoyance for me is screen glare.

Messiah

Persoanlly I do not think the 4:3 ratio is an issue.

Sure you may miss bits of the picture but I challenge you to notice this once you are engrossed in the film :)

If you are considering an iPad then I cannot recommend it enough. If you are planning to use it for the web etc then this screen shape is better IMO.

Perhaps go to the Apple store and try it and see.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
One reason I wouldn't buy a 4:3 tab.

4:3 feels wrong in the hand to me. I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 and it's perfect for video, perfect for reading and a good size and weight.

4:3 is so 5 years ago :)

salparadise said:
Personally I have never had any issue with the aspect ratio when watching movies or tv shows on my ipad. A bigger annoyance for me is screen glare.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MediaDevil-Magicscreen-Screen-Protector-Anti-Glare/dp/B004ZXZK4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368513060&sr=8-2&keywords=Media+devil+iPad

No glare on my iPad now. :)

Paul.

I have an iPad (the first one) and a Galaxy Tab 8.9. I tend to take the iPad away with me, as the black bars don't bother me when watching video, yet the aspect ratio on the 8.9 does bother me for web use.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Android tablets are better suited for watching videos. The Nexus 7 and Transformer Pad Infinity have a 16:10 aspect, while the Nexus 10 and Samsung Tab 10.1 have a 16:9 aspect

A 16:9 film on an 9.7'' Ipad is 33.92 sq''

A 16:9 film on a 10.1'' Nexus 10 is 43.56 sq''

A film on the Nexus 10 will be 29% larger.

The Ipad will have black bars leaving around 25% of the screen unused

TRENDING THREADS