4:3 not available on Sky HD??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Was available on my previous sky+. Is it because now i'm using hdmi into my tv? Is really annoying as I would rather watch a correctly ratio-ed picture with huge black bands either side than a stretched to f..k picture. The Sky box has 4:3 picture settings available - I have changed those with no effect.

I also notice that the 4:3 option is still available on the othe other hdmi inputs and even if I change from 1-3 the sky (via the tv) does not give this option. is it my TV? Sony Bravia kdlv4000.

Help...?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I have no problems at all with 4:3 shows on Sky HD (eg The Simpsons) - single button press on the remote control (aspect ratio button) for TV or projector and it's done.

In the case of the Sony 32V4000, that's the second button down on the left side of the remote (just above the red button). Hope that helps!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
I have no problems at all with 4:3 shows on Sky HD (eg The Simpsons) - single button press on the remote control (aspect ratio button) for TV or projector and it's done.

In the case of the Sony 32V4000, that's the second button down on the left side of the remote (just above the red button). Hope that helps!

Yep, certain channels like Art HD are shot in 4:3.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare

Thats the weird thing. I know where my aspect ratio button is but it just gives 3 options - wide,zoom and smart. On the other 2 hdmis the tv gives the option of 4:3 and 16:9. I've already swapped the sky into hdmi 2 and the TV still gives the same options minus 4:3 but then hdmi 1 will give me the option! What's that all about? As i say I've changed the settings on the sky box with no change.

Again...help!

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
On the sky HD box some programs are 4:3 on sky one SD (106) but on sky one HD channel seem to be broadcast in a 14:9 ratio, e.g. simpsons and older stargate to name 2. The picture appears slightly bigger but I think because they are not HD programmes you can see more grain, especially on older simpsons episodes which don't look that great anyway but can look even worse on sky one HD.

A

Anonymous

sc1 my problem is - if you read my posts - that I don't have the option of watching 4:3 programs in 4:3 ( as i did with my old sky+) which I would rather do instead of stretched

A

Anonymous

What does it say in the TV manual?

I have a D3000, and it has fewer ratio options under HDMI. It seems to assume that your HDMI source knows what it is doing. Or as the manual puts in "You cannot select 4:3 or 14:9 for HD signal source pictures".

A

Anonymous

I'm not infront of my sky at the moment so you'll have to navigate to the setting but I think the button sequence is below.

If you press services on your sky remote, then system setup, then picture setup, there should be an option for output at the bottom of the page. I'm sure yours will say 1080i or 720i. You need to change that to automatic. Save changes and you now be able to select 4:3 on your sony bravia. The downside will be a small delay when changing channels from HD to SD and visa versa while the sony switches resolution, but you will now see the picture in the correct ratio and resolution.

TRENDING THREADS