3D Projector or not

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, first post so go easy. I'm seriously considering getting a projector for gaming & films. The thing is do I go for one of the newly released 3d 720p ones (optoma or acer) or go for a non 3d 1080p projector in the 1K price range. The 3d ones seem reasonably priced around £600 ish, and with Sky (let alone alone all the channels anounced at CES) talking about their 3d channel and the BD specs being formalised (PS3 apparently will work) the 3d option is appealing.

Sorry one more question, how will the PS3 & SKY HD 3D work on a projector. Are there 3rd party suppliers of the Active shutter glasses and transmitter that can be used on the PS3 & SKYHD box or are the manufacturers only stating their kit will work on the likes of Nvidia through your PC.

Cheers,

Panasonic th-46pz85b - Onkyo 605 - Q-AV 7.1 - PS3 Slim - Xbox 360 - Wii

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If 3D floats your boat, go for it.

Just bear in mind that 3D Bluray discs will be top whack, and fairly thin on the ground initially.

Personally, I'd go for a good 1080p projector, and get the best from your current DVD and/or Blurays. If you really have to go the 3D route, wait for a couple of years for it to settle down, along with the prices.

I'll skip a "format" and wait for 4k2k.

A

Anonymous

I like the idea of 3D but would be perfectly happy to skip and wait for 4K2K but from what i have read this is a good while off and because apparently my PS3 and SKY box are 3D ready i was hoping the investment will not be huge.

I was thinking of a 3D projector for the fact i don't want to buy another apparently out of date tech, but 1080p was where i was looking until i read and watched all the CES footage. Thanks for the advice, i think i'm going to have to just wait and see.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
1080p won't be out of date because of 3D.

What would you watch in 3D? Donnie Darko? Fight Club? The Big Lebowski? One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?

By the time 3D settles down, 4k2k will be riding into town on it's ultra HD horse, meaning you can watch a film that covers our whole wall, not just part of it. Filling up your field of view is far more effective than making a smaller screen look like a pop up book......

A

Anonymous

I was asking about 3D for the gaming front mainly (films as and when and if ever released) I don't want too replace my TV but do fancy a projector.

A friend has the Nvidia 3D option on i think a 22" screen and it looks amazing so can only imagine how good it would look on a 80" plus screen.

I'm thinking of going back down the original route of a 1080p projector route, do you have any recommendations for a projector and screen around the £1500 mark.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you can still find the discontinued Mitsubishi HC5500 it might be worth a punt - the Mitsi's always seemed to be the sharpest of all those we've had in our demo room. They now do the HC3800, which is a DLP model, which I've not seen, but should be worth a demo. The Optoma HD20 might be worth a look too, but hear in mind there's no lens shift facility.

You really do need to see some, as there are a few different technologies available, some have drawbacks that some people can't overlook, others don't. There are many on the market, and most of what we have are £2k plus.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Filling up your field of view is far more effective than making a smaller screen look like a pop up book......

Quote of the week - I'll have to remember that one David pmsl

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
emotion-2.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm with Frank, Harvey & David on this one - buy what you can afford now and when you next upgrade, the 'future' formats of now will be the defacto standard and you'll have a better choice and more to watch on it.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Frank Harvey, i will have a look for the Mitsu you mentioned. Unfortunately living on the Isle of Man i don't have the option of any auditions. I guess i will have to take the missus to Liverpool for the day and try and audition a few (if i can steel some time from the clothes shops).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts