3D pass thru via a HDMI1.3 amp

F

FunkyMonkey

I have an Onkyo 805 receiver which is HDMI1.3. How do I know if it will pass through the 3D video signal to a 3D display? Thanks in advance!

F

FunkyMonkey

The reason I hoped it might was that I vaguely remember reading that the pictue is passed through unprocessed. Literally jsut passed through.

Also, the PS3 is HDMI1.3 and that is going to be 3D compatible.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The PS3 is going to be upgraded and will offer 3D capability, agreed, but there's nothing physically different between the various generations of HDMI, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the 3D-upgraded PS3 will effectively have an HDMI 1.4-spec output.

Unfortunately upgrading a receiver to offer HDMI 1.4 passthrough is rather trickier, and it's our understanding that there are no manufacturers planning such upgrades to receivers.

A

Anonymous

PS3 has a big processor, and it will be done through firmware, were as a amp wont have this feature.

But I am sure some high end amps might have this feature via firmware , but I could be wrong

A

Anonymous

1.3 Amp wont passthrough the 3D.

I know what ur saying - my Sony 5400ES has a mode called 'Direct' which I though might let the 3d through - but no - u only get the 2D picture.

As for the PS3 - HDMI 1.4 is purely a specification which dicates how the data is to be packaged. Devices had to adher to this to be labelled as HDMI 1.4

So any 1.3 device can play 3D with a firmware upgrade it has the processing power bandwidth to repackage the data into one of the correct formats.

The only physical differences between 1.3 and 1.4 are the Audio Return Channel (pointless - why would u want the sound going back to your amp from tv? ) and the 100Mbit Ethernet Channel (not enough to enable blu-ray quality streaming).

HDMI cables are afterall just leads with a series of pins connected to each other. All it does is carry the data - how it is packaged before transmission is the most important factor.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
edsib1:the Audio Return Channel (pointless - why would u want the sound going back to your amp from tv? )

Errm... so you can take sound from the TV's built-in Freeview or Freesat tuner and feed it through the surround system.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

edsib1:the Audio Return Channel (pointless - why would u want the sound going back to your amp from tv? )

Errm... so you can take sound from the TV's built-in Freeview or Freesat tuner and feed it through the surround system.

Quite so. I have a freesat PVR and a freeview tuner on my TV (and no speakers) As I occasionally watch content that is freeview only, I have a cable from the TV back to amp. HDMI 1.4 (on Tv, amp and cable) would remove a cable.

F

FunkyMonkey

Thanks everyone, I am now a lot clearer on £d compatibiltiy. :)

But I don't want to replace my receiver. :-(

Ah well, may get a 3D ready blu ray player anyway, for future proofing.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Although to do that - at least for HD sound - you'll need a player with multichannel analogue outputs, and a receiver with multichannel analogue ins. The OP's Onkyo will be fine in that respect, but a suitable player will be needed.

A

Anonymous

does anyone have any experience of whether a hdmi splitter sending video to a tv and the audio to a 1.3 amp whould work ?

I know some people use them to send a sky output to a second room.

£30 for a splitter would be a lot better than a new amp.

(I know current 1.3 splitters won't do the ARC or ethernet but we're not interested in that in this case)

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Am i not right in thinking this only affects amps with HDMI inputs and outputs,Will i still get a 3D picture and surround sound if i use a 1.3 HDMI lead from Skybox and PS3 directly into TV and Optical cables from my skybox,PS3, and 3D DVD player to my amp?

A

Anonymous

chris yes ur right for the video.

But - If u use optical for audio u will only get 5.1 sound not Dolby TrueHD or
DTS HD.

I connect my blu-ray to the tv with a 1.3 hdmi lead for video and connect the blu-ray to the amp using analogue outs for the audio. And the 3d and 7.1 sound are just fine.

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks edsib1, hopefully all will be o.k when i get my new t.v delivered, got the 46c8000 with 3d bluray on order, i notice you have it already!!, please tell me it is fantastic and worth the 4 weeks im having to wait for it!! Also is there much difference between 5.1 and dolby truehd?

A

Anonymous

I love the TV. Its so slim and the picture is top-notch.

The internet widgets are useful - particularly when iplayer is added to them in a couple of weeks, as is the pvr functionality with a external USB drive.

Dont forget to reclaim your extra free pair of 3D glasses at samsung connect (just need ur tv serial number).

http://www.samsung-connect.co.uk/cmcpage.asp?idpage=1532

The difference between lossless and 5.1 is night and day. When I first heard the opening of Day After Tomorrow where the ice-cap breaks I was amazed at the difference between the two.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts