3D Audio

TWARDLAW

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Is anybody able to tell me, is there an reasonably priced HDMI splitter on the market that will enable me to send a 3D signal from my PS3 to a 3D enabled TV whilst at the same time sending a full HD audio signal on the second HDMI output to my Sony STRDG820 receiver amp. I am more than happy with this Amp unit and do not want to upgrade it at this time, but cannot seem to find a splitter which will give me Dolby tru-hd and DTS Master Audio without an amp upgrade.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Something like this perhaps http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317784558&sr=1-4 .p.s the amplifier should have hdmi out which means you dont need a splitter just another hdmi cable.

You cannot separate an audio signal from a video signal with an HDMI splitter.

The cheapest option is to buy a blu-ray player with twin HDMI outs, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004QWY7SO/ref=asc_df_B004QWY7SO4690369?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004QWY7SO

You won't have to upgrade your receiver then which is a far more expensive option.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:

The cheapest option is to buy a blu-ray player with twin HDMI outs, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004QWY7SO/ref=asc_df_B004QWY7SO4690369?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004QWY7SO You won't have to upgrade your receiver then which is a far more expensive option.
what are you on .all they need is a second hdmi cable so they can connect the playstation 3 to the sony amplifier and then connect that amplifier to the television like any home cinema system .try reading the problem first before giving out expensive incorrect advice in future

bearwolfblade said:
bigboss said:

The cheapest option is to buy a blu-ray player with twin HDMI outs, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004QWY7SO/ref=asc_df_B004QWY7SO4690369?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004QWY7SO You won't have to upgrade your receiver then which is a far more expensive option.

what are you on .all they need is a second hdmi cable so they can connect the playstation 3 to the sony amplifier and then connect that amplifier to the television like any home cinema system .try reading the problem first before giving out expensive incorrect advice in future

What are you on about? Have you read the OP's question properly? The OP wants HD audio with 3D & wants to split audio & video signals.

TWARDLAW said:
Is anybody able to tell me, is there an reasonably priced HDMI splitter on the market that will enable me to send a 3D signal from my PS3 to a 3D enabled TV whilst at the same time sending a full HD audio signal on the second HDMI output to my Sony STRDG820 receiver amp.

HDMI splitter you've suggested does not meet his requirements. They're suitable if you want to toggle between a TV & a projector for example. They cannot separate audio from video signals.

PS3 has sacrificed HD audio for 3D: http://www.psuni.com/sony-sacrifices-lossless-audio-for-ps3-3d-blu-ray-playback-4571/

If you want 3D & HD audio, you need a separate blu-ray player like the one I've suggested.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
bearwolfblade said:
bigboss said:

What are you on about? Have you read the OP's question properly? The OP wants HD audio with 3D & wants to split audio & video signals.

TWARDLAW said:
Is anybody able to tell me, is there an reasonably priced HDMI splitter on the market that will enable me to send a 3D signal from my PS3 to a 3D enabled TV whilst at the same time sending a full HD audio signal on the second HDMI output to my Sony STRDG820 receiver amp.

HDMI splitter you've suggested does not meet his requirements. They're suitable if you want to toggle between a TV & a projector for example. They cannot separate audio from video signals. PS3 has sacrificed HD audio for 3D: http://www.psuni.com/sony-sacrifices-lossless-audio-for-ps3-3d-blu-ray-playback-4571/ If you want 3D & HD audio, you need a separate blu-ray player like the one I've suggested.
you said you cant split audio/video but then change your mind saying you can if you use the panasonic which only has 2 hdmi you need 3 hdmi to split a/v 1 cable in 2 cables out .they didnt know their sony amplifier has a hdmi out on it and i own the panasonic if theres no full hd sound coming in from the ps3 your not getting hd sound at all and not only that you cant play 3D ps3 games on a blu-ray player

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bearwolfblade said:
you said you cant split audio/video but then change your mind saying you can if you use the panasonic which only has 2 hdmi you need 3 hdmi to split a/v 1 cable in 2 cables out .

The Panasonic Blu-ray player linked above has two HDMI outputs - you connect one of these outputs to your TV to send 3D pictures direct, and the other HDMI output to your AV receiver to send the HD audio direct. So only two HDMI cables are required for this and it's one of the simplest methods of getting 3D if you don't have a 3D compatible AV receiver.

On the splitter question, whilst theoretically it should be possible for a 1.4 certified splitter to send the signal to both the TV for 3D and the amp for HD audio, I wasn't aware that there were any which had in fact been certified to do this. All the tests I've seen other people perform so far have indicated it's not possible, but happy to be proved wrong on this as I've done no actual testing myself.

I was under the impression that a new update for the PS3 now allowed 3D and HD audio to be sent to a compatible receiver (source here and here), but I've not tested it myself. As noted above, with only one HDMI output, I believe you would therefore need a 3D compatible receiver for this to work.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:
you said you cant split audio/video but then change your mind saying you can if you use the panasonic which only has 2 hdmi you need 3 hdmi to split a/v 1 cable in 2 cables out .

The Panasonic Blu-ray player linked above has two HDMI outputs - you connect one of these outputs to your TV to send 3D pictures direct, and the other HDMI output to your AV receiver to send the HD audio direct. So only two HDMI cables are required for this and it's one of the simplest methods of getting 3D if you don't have a 3D compatible AV receiver.

On the splitter question, whilst theoretically it should be possible for a 1.4 certified splitter to send the signal to both the TV for 3D and the amp for HD audio, I wasn't aware that there were any which had in fact been certified to do this. All the tests I've seen other people perform so far have indicated it's not possible, but happy to be proved wrong on this as I've done no actual testing myself.

I was under the impression that a new update for the PS3 now allowed 3D and HD audio to be sent to a compatible receiver (source here and here), but I've not tested it myself. As noted above, with only one HDMI output, I believe you would therefore need a 3D compatible receiver for this to work.

thank you professorhat the OP owns a Sony STRDG820 which is 3D compatible . which means that you can connect the ps3 to the amp and using the second hdmi connect the amp to the television like any normal home cinema like i said in one my replies. i thought bigboss was using using the blu-ray player to split the ps3 signal as the panasonic doesnt play your playstation games

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:

thank you professorhat the OP owns a Sony STRDG820 which is 3D compatible which means you can connect the ps3 to the amp and with a second hdmi cable connect the amp to the tv like i said in one of my replies. i thought bigboss was trying to use a blu-ray player to split the signal from the ps3

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:

thank you professorhat the OP owns a Sony STRDG820 which is 3D compatible which means you can connect the ps3 to the amp and with a second hdmi cable connect the amp to the tv like i said in one of my replies. i thought bigboss was trying to use a blu-ray player to split the signal from the ps3

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:

I was under the impression that a new update for the PS3 now allowed 3D and HD audio to be sent to a compatible receiver (source here and here), but I've not tested it myself. As noted above, with only one HDMI output, I believe you would therefore need a 3D compatible receiver for this to work. thank you professorhat the op has the new STR DH820 amp which is 3D compatible and like i said in my first reply would only need a 2nd hdmi cable

TRENDING THREADS