3.5mm to Phono options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've posted in the android forum but not sure it gets enough traffic.

I have a samsung galaxy s2 and use it to play spotify music via a premium account. I'm currently connecting it to my hi-fi via either a 3.5mm to 3.5mm or a 3.5mm to a phono connection cable.

Is this the best quality route? Or can something be done via the micro usb?

If not what is the best cable for me to get?

A

Anonymous

I did a quick google (I have an HTC Desire Android phone so was curious), the Galaxy S2 might have an audio out via the USB socket when a car dock is used, but its still analogue, there is no digital audio out. Therefore the best way to connect your phone is via a 3.5mm stereo jack cable like you're doing. You might hear an improvement by using an expensive cable (depending the quality of your audio files), but with my phone and files ripped at 128Kps, I use a cheap cable bought from Kenable.co.uk

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You could try Bluetooth ... not sure if your Galaxy S-2 does apt-x (a type of high quality Bluetooth streaming codec) ... and something like a QED uPlay Bluetooth receiver (about £60). This gives you the added benefit of not being tethered to your hifi as you would be with a cable. The quality may be there or thereabouts. I assume there are similar wireless type AV connections ... something like Apple Airplay ... but I have no experience of those.

A

Anonymous

I'm confised how the samsung galaxy s2 won so many awards especially from HiFi fans considering it's lack of decent outputs.

I really thought there would be a higher quality method of playing my music.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I really thought there would be a higher quality method of playing my music.
I'm not sure a phone was a good place to start for high quality music. The problem with so many 'convergence' devices is that they try to be jacks of all trades ... and not masters of audio ... although I understand the Galaxy S2 is one of the best phones out there.
Have you checked what DAC or streaming options are possible, or alternatively you could use your phone to control something like a Squeezebox Touch. I've also heard that there are some new Android docks by Philips which sound quite good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts