3.1m x 2.5m Listening room.. Biggest speakers possible?

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
3.1m x 2.5m is the exact size of the room I will be using as a listening room in a few months.. It's perfectly boxed with fresh carpet and will have curtains to the left reflection point and will get a acoustic panel for the right.. It will literally have a soft furnished sofa and my hifi/TV in it.. Thats it.. Eventually prob get a couple bass traps for the rear wall behind the listing position.. It will positioned down the 3.1m with the listening position 1/3 form the rear wall (roughly) as apparently this is the best acoustically..

Basically want to know what kind of size speakers I can get away with.. The bigger and bassier the better (without exsessive booming) For example if i was looking at the KEF R series would I be better getting the R300's or could i get away with R500's or even R700's (pushing it i know). I may get a PV1 sub too but thought i'd see what you guys think I could get away with speaker wise..

Cheers guys! :rockout:

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Room acoustics & traps are clearly a prime issue with u. Great! Th answer to yr question? No idea sorry but keep us informed.

PS bass traps in front too?

Yeah I figure i may as well get it as balanced as possible.. My last room was pretty much the worst acoustics imaginable! pefectly square, wood floor, wood furnishings, tall ceilings with angles yuk.. So just the contrast to my new bedroom is massive! I won't be getting bass traps behind the speakers as my current ones are front ported.. I may when I change speakers.. If i get a sub I think corner traps may be more effective.. Lots of options to keep me busy :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
'3.1m x 2.5m Listening room.. Biggest speakers possible? ... Basically want to know what kind of size speakers I can get away with.. The bigger and bassier the better ...'

Assuming you are of average circumference, you shouldn't take up more than 0.5m standing straight though you may find you have to hold your arms above your head.

That will leave you with plenty of space for some Tannoy Westminsters.

Voila. Plenty of bass.

regards

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
DSC0127311.jpg

BigColz said:
3.1m x 2.5m is the exact size of the room I will be using as a listening room in a few months.. It's perfectly boxed with fresh carpet and will have curtains to the left reflection point and will get a acoustic panel for the right.. It will literally have a soft furnished sofa and my hifi/TV in it.. Thats it.. Eventually prob get a couple bass traps for the rear wall behind the listing position.. It will positioned down the 3.1m with the listening position 1/3 form the rear wall (roughly) as apparently this is the best acoustically..

Basically want to know what kind of size speakers I can get away with.. The bigger and bassier the better (without exsessive booming) For example if i was looking at the KEF R series would I be better getting the R300's or could i get away with R500's or even R700's (pushing it i know). I may get a PV1 sub too but thought i'd see what you guys think I could get away with speaker wise..

Cheers guys! :rockout:

I would suggest Spendor A3 or A5 could do the trick. I have a similar sized room and I'm happily running RS6s which stand at 85 cms tall.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Ha ok well done :clap: .. Before I get more sarcastic posts please read my KEF range example for reference as to what I mean by biggest speakers I can get away with, not literally the largest speakers i could phisically fit in the room.. Neiter would fit in the frontdoor anyway ;)

Cheers PP thats good to know.. I'd say the drivers on RS6's are around the same as R700's so maybe I could (just) get away with them :grin: Or maybe thats wishfull thinking.. :roll:

Anyone else?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Front porting is not the only consideration re front traps. Mine too are front ports. No expert but my experiments may be of interest. Throw some rs60 at it in all corners and see how it makes a diff' before decisions. Good luck anyway and keep us informed

Cheers

BigColz said:
Cheers PP thats good to know.. I'd say the drivers on RS6's are around the same as R700's so maybe I could (just) get away with them :grin: Or maybe thats wishfull thinking.. :roll:

Anyone else?

TBH, couldn't really comment on the newer Kef stuff but as long as a speaker is fairly happy to sit about 12" from the wall, then given how fast the bass is on the Cyrus (similar to Leema in that respect), there shouldn't be too many issues.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigColz said:

Anyone else?

TBH, couldn't really comment on the newer Kef stuff but as long as a speaker is fairly happy to sit about 12" from the wall, then given how fast the bass is on the Cyrus (similar to Leema in that respect), there shouldn't be too many issues.

Cheers mate.. As I was saying in my previous thread I wanted a fuller sound in lower mids/bass and considering I came form big 3 ways in my first first hifi, that would be the obvious first step to getting a similar sound.. Just hard to define the cut offs between room sizes etc.. I'd say 12'' from rear wall around the same from side wall would be placement.. With some treatment and nothing else in the room (bar sofa) should have room to breath..

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
BigColz said:
I'd say 12'' from rear wall around the same from side wall ...

Not shure, but isn't that the recipe for nasty room modes? :?

No idea.. Nothing is set in stone, I haven't even got the room yet let alone speaker placement. Just a rough idea, they could come in a fair bit more from side walls..

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:

Good price.. Not sure they would go as deep or punchy as i'd like though.. The Twenty22's were pretty much the opposite of what I was looking for when I heard them.. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm focosing on the wrong thing but i feel twin bass drivers would be better. Also i'd like a more contempory look with my next set of speakers (although not essential if I found some I loved).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
DocG said:
BigColz said:
I'd say 12'' from rear wall around the same from side wall ...

Not shure, but isn't that the recipe for nasty room modes? :?

No idea.. Nothing is set in stone, I haven't even got the room yet let alone speaker placement. Just a rough idea, they could come in a fair bit more from side walls..

To minimise room modes, as a rule of thumb, the distance from the woofer to the floor, the back wall and the side wall should be as different as possible. Stereophile's John Atkinson advises the 'Golden Ratio' as a start. Which means these distances should be about a factor 1.6 different. For example, if the woofer is 20" high, place the speaker (the baffle, to be precise) at 12" from the back wall, and 32 " from the sides. Or 32" from the back wall and 52" from the sides. Etc.

Just a rule of thumb, of course. That's where your ears come in to play.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

Rockwell check my links. I suggest some research on speaker placement too if u have a blankish canvass. Cheers

[/quote]

Ahh ok.. Well I mean with a blank canvas I only really have 2 options, hifi against the long wall: pro being I can get speakers further distance from the side wall 500mm+ Or against the small wall: pro being you're sat further away from the speakers, con being the speakers would need to be closer to the side wall 300-500 max.. I imagine corner bass traps would help a lot.. Thanks :grin:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Few of us I recon have much choice of layout. Recon here and elsewhere a little research will help to plan yr room. Certainly firing down the room & seats not against back wall is best. Not sure why u want the 'biggest' speakers but ur choice after some audition. IMO, plan yr room, choose electronics on budget & facilities. Then listen to some speakers.

But, as forumites know well, I know nuffin'

Cheers

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Big Colz when I had a home dem of kef r700 they were ok in my listening room 4x3 meters I would try to home dem r500s I am sure you will love em If you are feeling brave the r700s are realy good speakers the only reason I didn't buy a pair was due to she who must be obeyed said that they blocked her view of the telly from her dinning possition ie seated at the dinner table:) :)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi Big Colz when I had a home dem of kef r700 they were ok in my listening room 4x3 meters I would try to home dem r500s I am sure you will love em If you are feeling brave the r700s are realy good speakers the only reason I didn't buy a pair was due to she who must be obeyed said that they blocked her view of the telly from her dinning possition ie seated at the dinner table:) :)

Haha fair enough.. I'd prob put my foot down but then again thats prob why i'm single ;) Think I will try r300's and 500's.. Think the 500's are realistically as big as i could go..

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi BigColz I would be realy suppized if you dont love the r500 they realy fill the room with music and they go realy loud:rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts