2nd Hand Integrated amplifier to match B&W Dm602.5 S3s

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I am currently upgrading my system and need am looking for a 2nd hand integrated amp for around £100-150 to match my B&W dm602.5 s3s. I will probably get a cd player to match the amp, I use my laptop a lot for music so perhaps an integrated DAC would be useful or some options for a seperate DAC instead. I know the Marantz pm6005 has an integrated dac without a usb input but I could maybe get a usb to optical or coaxial convertor if anyone has any opinions on them as well.
My music taste is very eclectic so versatility is important however I do like a good bassy sound.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Are they not very old amplifiers? I always feel that although the amps are pretty good, surely a newer amplifiers must be better as there must be some sort of incremental increase in quality over such a long time?
Or were they very expensive at the time?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The 1062 is not very old. You can find one that is 5-6 years old and it would work quite well for many years to come. If the older 980BX is from a first owner that would be a good buy as well.

When you say "old" it means 10-20 years and "very old" 30+. It is quite normal to buy 2nd hand up to 10 years old without any need of servicing.

For £100-150 you wont get an excellent amp that is new.

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the pioneer a50 powering B&W 685 which to my ears sounds immense. Some of pioneer's entry level amps (A10 A20 and A30) may fit your budget

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
NAD C320BEE all the way

Tank of an amp; bags of power and will drive the 602.5 S3's well

(I should know as I had that combo for a while before moving to the 685's etc...)

Still got the NAD C320BEE; bought it early 2000's new and will never part with it. It's a stuinning amp and still blows me away today!

It's ran everything from KEF LS50's to Neat Motive 2's and even ran it with my friends B&W 805's (all be it briefly)!

It'll drive all sorts of speakers and you can generally get one via eBay for less than £100! :)

Hope to help

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, yeah sorry I only knew the older rotel amp and presumed the Ra-1062 was the same age. It seems to be reviewed very well and looks very good for me. I understand that people do buy amps up to 30 years old still but it just seems to me that due to the incredible advances electrical technology has made of the past 20 years that surely an amp made in the past decade must surely have technology in it which results in a better product than a similarly priced amp from 20 years ago?

I actually had the Nad 320BEE but i found it a little dull sounding in my opinion, I did like it mind, would have kept it but my friend touched the speaker wires together an blew it unfortunately so thought id try something different.

So are people saying that the pioneers arent powerful enough to drive the speakers?

TrevC

If an amplifier is capable of producing close to double the power output at 4 ohms than it is at at 8 ohms then it is a high current design, but unfortunately these things are never tested.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
NAD C320BEE all the way

Tank of an amp; bags of power and will drive the 602.5 S3's well

(I should know as I had that combo for a while before moving to the 685's etc...)

Still got the NAD C320BEE; bought it early 2000's new and will never part with it. It's a stuinning amp and still blows me away today!

It's ran everything from KEF LS50's to Neat Motive 2's and even ran it with my friends B&W 805's (all be it briefly)!

It'll drive all sorts of speakers and you can generally get one via eBay for less than £100! :)

Hope to help

Totally agree - amazing amp for the money 2nd hand.

Marantz M CR510 is a bargain 2nd hand aswell - mine is mint and only cost £130, it has a DAC and sounds great

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how much would you pay for an RA-1062 as I'm looking at one now but not sure what is a good price, it retailed at £595 but that was 10 years ago.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Depends on condition, shipping vs pickup, how fast the owner wants to get rid of it etc.

Price will vary anywhere between £150 - £250.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Marantz PM7001 integrated amp and matching SA7001 sa-cd player for sale if they interest you.

Not sure if you can do 'private messaging' on this forum - if you can, and are interested, then drop me an email ?

Cheers

Steve

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Michaelholder1 said:
That Marantz seems to do alot for very little, is the sound quality going to compare to other amps mentioned?

It does do a lot - streaming Spotify and files from my NAS an onboard DAC, It's shiny, compact and packs quite a wallop - I'm told it is at least as good as a PM6005 and it is a huge leap from my previous PM5004. A huge bargain 2nd hand.

TRENDING THREADS