24ct Gold Plated Over Silver 13A Bussmann Fuse

Dom

I thought I would try out one of these Bussmann fuses from Ebay. Not expecting much I plugged it in and ta da, it's actually a bit better, but maybe slightly unbalanced compared to before with just a normal 13A bussmann.

Is it worth the money, no. However, It could turn into a worth while investment with some trail and error.

The guitars I am currently listening to seem more plucky and the sound seems colder over all.

I might buy one or two more to see the difference in the system as a whole and not just the amp but then again I might just put the standard Bussmann fuse back in and call it a day.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
I thought I would try out one of these Bussmann fuses from Ebay. Not expecting much I plugged it in and ta da, it's actually a bit better, but maybe slightly unbalanced compared to before with just a normal 13A bussmann.

Is it worth the money, no. However, It could turn into a worth while investment with some trail and error.

The guitars I am currently listening to seem more plucky and the sound seems colder over all.

I might buy one or two more to see the difference in the system as a whole and not just the amp but then again I might just put the standard Bussmann fuse back in and call it a day.

Did you changed you fuse in less than 25 seconds and proceed to the guitar hearing in this amount of time ?

iMark

DomCheetham said:

Our equipment doesn't come with fuses at all but with Europlugs. Must be a lot better then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

What will they think of next.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DomCheetham said:

What I highlighted above :)
13A BS1362 standard, nickel plated, Bussman fuses should cost £0.265 each (if bought in a pack of 10 from RS online).
I don't want anyone messing around with fuses - in between the original manufacturer and me - plating them with gold etc. (Do you live in a salt mine?)

It makes me wonder if their safety has been compromised in the process.

Dom

iMark said:
DomCheetham said:

Our equipment doesn't come with fuses at all but with Europlugs. Must be a lot better then.

Hi iMark, I am putting it in a standard 3 pin UK plug. Cheers.

Dom

Well exactly.

Do I live in a salt mine? I'm not sure what you mean. Short answer is no. Long answer is I live next to the sea, thats really salty. :)

I have read that audiophile fuses are dodgy, in that they either pop randomly or not at all.

Thanks for the head up.

abacus

I hope this threads a wind up, or your completely inebriated, as fuses either work or they don’t, they don’t alter the sound in any form.

Hopefully common sense will prevail shortly.

Bill

iMark

DomCheetham said:
iMark said:
DomCheetham said:

You obviously didn't get my point. Our equipment must sound a lot better because we use Europlugs rather than strange plugs with fuses. You obviously should know that no fuse gives better sound than any type of fuse. Or do you recommend that I look into gold plated electronics in our fusebox?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Before gold plating, the base metal must be scrupulously clean. This is often (part) done by immersion in a solvent and then cleaning in water (often several times). Gold plating is an electro-plating process which requires the metal to be submerged in the plating solution.
Does this sound like a good thing to do to a fuse?

Dom

iMark said:
DomCheetham said:
iMark said:
DomCheetham said:

You obviously didn't get my point. Our equipment must sound a lot better because we use Europlugs rather than strange plugs with fuses. You obviously should know that no fuse gives better sound than any type of fuse. Or do you recommend that I look into gold plated electronics in our fusebox?

Hi there, I can say with some confidents that fuse or no, it shouldn't make a difference. There are fuses in my Roksan amp.

S

SemiChronic

When my transformers at work blow a fuse, i usually pop in a No3 Pozi screwdriver bit.

A pozi bit in your amp lead may provide better grip on the speakers and give more depth to the sound, especially if using a high quality item such as Wera Diamond.

Obviously i dont reccomend doing this as it could be dangerous and the world may end etc etc. . . better to test on somebody elses hifi first.

Dom

Petherick said:
Before gold plating, the base metal must be scrupulously clean. This is often (part) done by immersion in a solvent and then cleaning in water (often several times). Gold plating is an electro-plating process which requires the metal to be submerged in the plating solution. Does this sound like a good thing to do to a fuse?

No.

Dom

abacus said:
I hope this threads a wind up, or your completely inebriated, as fuses either work or they don’t, they don’t alter the sound in any form.

Hopefully common sense will prevail shortly.

Bill

I have found that fuse strength help.

Which is why my 10w DAC has a 13A fuse init. You realise that 13 amps is like 3000w. My DAC would die long time before that blows...

FWIW they recommend a 13A fuse.

Dom

SemiChronic said:
When my transformers at work blow a fuse, i usually pop in a No3 Pozi screwdriver bit.

A pozi bit in your amp lead may provide better grip on the speakers and give more depth to the sound, especially if using a high quality item such as Wera Diamond.

Obviously i dont reccomend doing this as it could be dangerous and the world may end etc etc. . . better to test on somebody elses hifi first.

It might do but my amp was designed with a 13A fuse in mind. I don't think it would sound better with a 15A fuse for example. It might just be worse.

Dom

andyjm said:
DomCheetham said:
And thats that. Don't like them. Standard is back in, and the balance is back.

Cheers.

Dom, what are you smoking?

Can I have some?

American Spirit.

Serously though why do they recommend such high wattage fuses. Why does my 300w amp require a 3000w fuse? It's never been at max volume running music through it. My computer on the other hand could draw 250 - 400w of power and they recommend a 3000w fuse?

Yep.

S

SemiChronic

Because, currently in the uk, the industry standard lowest watt fuse is a 3A, so basically until the industry standard drops to something lower youre stuck with it. Unless somekind of ebay mod is available(might already be) But id stick with UK 3 Amp for now.

Dom

SemiChronic said:
Because, currently in the uk, the industry standard lowest watt fuse is a 3A, so basically until the industry standard drops to something lower youre stuck with it. Unless somekind of ebay mod is available(might already be) But id stick with UK 3 Amp for now.

Is it though, I can buy 1A fuse from Robert Dyas or Maplin off the shelf.

S

SemiChronic

LMAO!! I forgot about 1A

Regards the 3A fuse in your Roksan, maybe its because the power supply could upgrade itself ???

btw, im smoking Tellurium Q Black

lol

S

SemiChronic

That sounds exciting!! Theres no electronics or technology in my amp, its just a transformer toaster thing, although my cd player will not accept a slice of bread.

I may have overdone it with the audioquest vodka . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts