24bit FLAC on Sonos

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I want to have a go with 24bit FLAC files, but I ideally want to play them through my Sonos system.

Sonos doesn't currently support 24bit files, but a recent chat with their support team suggested (though they were very cagey about talking about the subject) that this wasn't a hardware limitation on the newer Sonos boxes (ZP90 and 120), though it might be on the older boxes.

Hopefully they will be releasing an update for the ZP90 or ZP120, though the cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if they save this functionality for a new model release!

In the meantime has anyone been able to come up with a work around to get 24bit files to work on the Sonos system (without buying one of the modded units that is)?

Cheers,

Gareth

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
There isn't one. From what I understand the digital output on the ZPs is 24-bits wide but 8 bits of this are used for volume control, so the only way 24-bit files could be played is if the volume control is disabled. This isn't so much of an issue on a ZP90, a lot of people set their volume to fixed anyway, but for the ZP120 that would be something of a limitation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts