2012 new speaker releases?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Anyone heard any whispers or aware of any possible interesting developments which might be forthcoming in the budget speaker arena?

I've been flip flopping about what to do wwith my system for ages, and one of the options is just to replace my old B&W DM601s which are damanged now, and carry on as before.

From lots of reading and hanging around fora, it seems like the budget standmounter pricepoint could benefit from some new impotus, but no one seems to be launching in to it. do you think we can expect anything here in 2012?

I have looked at the Arcaydis DM1s, B&W DM685s, and of course, the omnipotent MA BX2s.

I don't know how long speaker cycles tend to be, but the B&Ws in particular seem to have been around for a while. Is the turnover at this price point quite slow at the moment, or am I getting dragged in to thinking in too short termist a manner by Apple's constant release cycle?

Cheers.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I thought I'd check eBay for some 601s for you, but there aren't any S3s listed.

A few pairs of 602 S3s on there though.:? :grin:

Some here actually prefer the 602 S3 to the 685.:shhh: :shifty:

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
What actually wrong with your speakers? And which series of the 601 are they; 1, 2 or 3? I believe the series one had a slightly crude tweeter but the series 2 and 3 and very good at the price point. I actually still use a pair of 602 S2's but won't bother to change them till I can make it a significant step up, most likely to the PMC Twenty 22's.

You don't state budget as such, other than 'budget' so I'd suggest you try and repair your B&W's if you can because they'll be hard to better on a budget. The B&W spares and repairs service is first rate and I replaced the bass / mid unit on mine some time back.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
I think they're the 601 s1s. They're about 15 yrs old anyway.

The problem is that both tweeters were pushed in when mistaken for shiny buttons by a very small hand! I could replace them, but at a cost of £50, a lot for £200 speakers that are so old.

The MA BX2's seem all conquering at this price point, still, but having heard a friend's RX2s, I'm not convinced. They sounded quite rigid and inanimate to me.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I thought I'd check eBay for some 601s for you, but there aren't any S3s listed.

Would you recommend these speakers for rock music, I may be looking for a change?

SteveR750

SonofSun said:
Big Chris said:

Would you recommend these speakers for rock music, I may be looking for a change?

If you mean 602 S3 the defnitely yes.

I had some for about 4 years with a NAD C372 - fantastic combination. articulate, airy, fast and dynamic with plenty opf punch and power. I also think they are a better speaker than the 685.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'm also considering the B&W 600 series, but the main thing putting me off is that they must be due to be replaced sometime soon.

From an old news article here, it looks like June will mark 5 years since the current range were launched. Seems as good a time as any to bring out the new ones. Please?! :)

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
...which is kind of what I was thinking. I would have thought the B&W 600 series was ready for a relaunch, but perhaps it's not something they're in to any more?

Has anyone heard any whispers about this or other possible entries in to the 'affordable' end of the standmount arena this year?

It seems in need of a shake up to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts