2009 - the year of the headphone?

John Duncan

On the day my 325s arrived an' all
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

PJPro:Any indication on how sales of headphone amps went? I aspire to designing and selling my own.

Interesting thought. My first reaction would be "no way", but I can feel a thread coming on...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:PJPro:Any indication on how sales of headphone amps went? I aspire to designing and selling my own.

Interesting thought. My first reaction would be "no way"...
Why?

John Duncan

Market size, primarily. EBRicky said elsewhere that he'd sold something like 90 pairs of his five-star, reasonably affordable, mainstream product. What does that mean for headphone amps? Ten a year for any given model? I wouldn't fancy my chances, no matter how good I could make something.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Headphone amps too small to register as a separate sector yet; ditto DACs.

I have a feeling that will change in the next few years. Hard drive based music systems will continue go grow and the benefits of separate DACs and Headphone amps will be clear - I would think sales would follow.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Though I think you'll start to see a fair bit of integration.....

But yes - it's only this year, for example, that the audio streamer market has registered in reasonable quantities, as the blog details.

idc

Last year I bought three headphones, but this year plan to buy two. There may be rocky waters ahead.

I agree about integration. Headamps with DACs and DACs with headamps are making the two one.

John Duncan

idc:
Last year I bought three headphones, but this year plan to buy two. There may be rocky waters ahead.

I agree about integration. Headamps with DACs and DACs with headamps are making the two one.

Oh yes...

fubar4-6(both2).jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc:Last year I bought three headphones, but this year plan to buy two.

This year I found two pairs of headphones. (One pair in a shortbread tin and another in a box I could have sworn contained Canon inkjet cartridges.)

After a tiny dab of superglue I now have a pair of HD-595s and a pair of Grado SR-60 (pre 'i' version). I also have the Beresford which can also do duty as a headphone amp.

The problem is that I don't particularly like using headphones. (The reason the headphones got 'lost' originally and the same reason that I sold a Rega EAR h/phone amp a few years ago.)

Despite all that, 'chez chebby' has contributed to the trend by getting through an average of two pairs of Sennheiser PX100s and two pairs of iPod earpieces a year for the last few years. (Daughters with iPods and PCs and CD Walkpersons before iPods came along.)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Market size, primarily. EBRicky said elsewhere that he'd sold something like 90 pairs of his five-star, reasonably affordable, mainstream product. What does that mean for headphone amps? Ten a year for any given model? I wouldn't fancy my chances, no matter how good I could make something.
Sorry John but who is EBRicky?

I know what you're saying as far as sales....but I wouldn't be expecting to jack in the day job.

A

Anonymous

I LOVE my various pairs of headphones but not even the best capsulate the sense of awareness my speakers give me.

TRENDING THREADS