20-year old amp: will adding a DAC be useless?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am posting in this forum since my question is not really about the DAC but rather about the AMP. Hope that's ok.

I have a 20-year-old Technics Stereo Integrated Amplifer SU-Z200 that I pulled up from the basement together with a couple of floorspeakers just as old. I hooked them up and was amazed at how well they sounded compared to my Euronics/Shoppingmall Sony Microsystem.

I am not an audiophile so I don't really know what to look for but to me they sound pretty good.

Only catch is that I have hooked them up to my computer's soundcard via headphone-out split into RCA connectors for the IN on the amplifier, like so: 

HRCA.jpg

So from what I understand both Windows7 is messing with my sound and then the headphone jack is not very appropriate either for music. I play lossless music from the computer to the amplifier by the way. Mostly classical single instrument, or opera, but of course also a fair share of avantgarde jazz.

From what I understand I should hook up a DAC and take the signal from the computer via USB instead into the DAC. But since my AMP and speakers are so old, I wonder if it is worth it? 

Is it possible for anyone who has not heard my setup to advise whether it is useless or not to invest in e.g. a Dacmagic from Cambridge Audio? I don't have that much money to throw around so I prefer not to buy things that are of little use to me.

I don't really know much about hi-fi so all help will be greatly welcome.

Thanks!

Pierre

A

Anonymous

Pierre,

It's very much worth it ! and connecting the computer to a DAC such as the Dacmagic should do a very good job.

So computer / USB cable / DAC / 2 x RCA phono cable / amplifier / speakers

A

Anonymous

A DAC would definitely improve the audio experience, but note to benefit from HD audio files using a USB connection you will need a DAC with a USB that supports 24 bit, which sadly rules out the current DACMagic. IIRC the rDAC would be an option at a similar price point.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answers, both of you. It's good to hear that I don't have to kick out the whole setup in order to get improvements in the sound.

Is it an option, in order to save money, to skip buying the DAC and use TOSLINK out from the computer and then into a converter so that I can plug RCA-phono connectors directly into the amplifier?ÿ

Or is this just an embarrassing cheapo/budget solution that does not belong in a decision process of whether to get a ?290 DAC or not?

Like this?

314tCHt2rFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Or would the optical>coax converter completely go berserk with the music before it reaches the amplifier?

Thanks!

Pierre.

A

Anonymous

You should be able to find the Musical Fidelity V-DAC cheaper than that and the Firestone Spitfire is a bargain at 139? at the moment from the firestone european website. Both are the equal of the Dacmagic, depending upon the review you read.

A

Anonymous

Hi there, I too have a 20 year old system, being an Arcam Alpha 2 amp, which I feed from an Arcam Black Box 2, and which drives monitor audio 9 speakers. The DAC has only one input, which I swap between a DVD player and my PC's coaxial digital output.

The difference between the analog output from the Arcam unit and the analog output from my PC is the difference between actual hi-fi and not very hi-fi, so you are totally right to get a decent DAC as the next item in your setup. Don't overlook going for an older unit on Ebay though, if you can find a Cambridge DACmagic or something similar it might be just a bit cheaper.

The item you have linked to above is not a Digital to Analog convertor though, it only converts from optical digital to coaxial digital (with one RCA digital cable as output). You would still need a DAC to get an analog signal! Grottyash mentioned the Spitfire, but you could also consider the somewhat cheaper Fubar, http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/fubar2.php, which will just plug into the USB socket. It won't do HD files, but then I'll leave it to others with more experience to advise you if that will be a great loss with the rest of the kit being 20 years old.

All the best!

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Just as a debrief, I went to my local hifi store today and borrowed a brand new DACMagic for a few days. As soon I unpacked it and connected it I was blown away with the difference. The sound is so much richer and warmer and more dynamic and harpsichords sound less harsh and there is nothing of that "knife-in-ears-syndrome" that could manifest itself sometimes at very high notes.

Needless to say, this one is a keeper. :)

Thanks everyone for your input!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts