2 questions

noob

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
1) Is there anything on the market like discontinued Bel Canto CD2, with exposed CD mechanism, and not such a ridiculous price tag?

2) What is general opinion about B&O's ICEpower modules, more specifically ASX250?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Bel Canto CD2 was expensive but I wouldn't describe it as ridiculously priced. It was built around a Phillips CDPro2 transport mechanism which is arguably the best CD transport that is commercially available. One of these transport engines plus the sub-chassis for mounting it will cost in the region of 500 Euros in its raw and naked form so you have to bear that in mind when assessing the price tag. What is your budget for a transport?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, this might be what you're looking for -- if you don't mind buying a demonstration model, that is...

Rumour has it Philips stopped/will stop the production of the CD Pro transport mechanism, so you'd better not wait too long to make up your mind.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi, this might be what you're looking for -- if you don't mind buying a demonstration model, that is...

Rumour has it Philips stopped/will stop the production of the CD Pro transport mechanism, so you'd better not wait too long to make up your mind.

Good spot DocG!

noob

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you wouldn't, but I would it describe it exactly like that :)

In shop nearest to me that has them in stock, the price is around 3300 euros! And it is only a transport!

Perception of price is individual, but that is a way too much money in my book for something that basically performs same function as any other 30 dollar player out there.

Yes it's has a CD2 Pro, and it is absolutely gorgeus on the outside, but 3300 euros for this http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/belcanto/5.jpg ? :)

How much can that board and components cost, a tenner? :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
noob said:
Maybe you wouldn't, but I would it describe it exactly like that :)

In shop nearest to me that has them in stock, the price is around 3300 euros! And it is only a transport!

Perception of price is individual, but that is a way too much money in my book for something that basically performs same function as any other 30 dollar player out there.

Yes it's has a CD2 Pro, and it is absolutely gorgeus on the outside, but 3300 euros for this http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/belcanto/5.jpg ? :)

How much can that board and components cost, a tenner? :)

If they were turning over 100's of thousands of units per annum I would agree but this is a niche product with low sale numbers. Low sale number = increase profit requirement per unity sold in order to allow a business function/survive. Also don't forget the 20% to 30% profit margin of the reseller.

If you want a product that more accurately reflects the price of the components inside it then may I propose something like this would be more up your street. *smile*

223902_R_Z001

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Look on ebay for Parasound C/BD-2000.

Currently by-it-now for £369

Belt driven? Is that a good idea?

Just asking as I have no experience with such an item. At least I don't think I do. Most transports are step motor driven right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts