2 coned speakers vs multi-coned speakers

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi ,I have been wondering if speakers with 2 cones like Totem arro s can produce as big and as indepth soundstage as multi-coned speakers such a the Ma rx8 s .I currently have acoustic energy aelite 3 speakers and am interested in the totems but they look quite small.Do multi-coned speakers in general create a better sound.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Multi-cone speakers can work very well- many systems use a "2 and a half way" design, where the main mid/bass driver is complemented by additional bass drivers, usually in a separate enclosure within the cabinet. These extra drivers don't do mids, but just help out at low frequencies. The results can be very good (i.e the RX8s...), but the design is more complex, requiring more crossover components and, if poorly executed, can be a bit dodgy (I used to own some Acoustic Energy Aegis 3s- great mid/top end, but the second bass driver merely added slow, excessive thwomp to an otherwise good sound).

Bear in mind that you get what you pay for- a £500 pair of 'normal' 2-way speakers will have better quality drive units than a £500 pair with multiple drivers- and the extra simplicity of the cabinet and crossover design will often give a more natural sound. I've often found multi-driver designs to sound like they're trying too hard.

The main advantages are extra power handling and lower bass from compact cabinets (adding extra bass units lowers the LF response typically by 10Hz per extra unit- but only as far down as the unit's resonant frequency), and also the percieved image of more/bigger being better.

So to sum up, you should choose the best speakers for you, regardless of how many drivers they have...!

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
It's not the number of cones or drive units that determines the quality of the sound but many other factors such as the quality of the drivers, crossovers, cabinet construction etc. Rather have 2 good quality drive units than 6 poorly designed drivers. Have a listen to a 2 driver speaker such as the Proac Response D18, or in your case the Totem Arro's, against a speaker that has multiple drivers and see which you prefer. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at how good a properly designed 2 driver speaker can sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts