2 channel integrated amp choice

kiltedyak50

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I wanted to get some thoughts on the below choices for amps/recievers.

Goal: 2 channel, must work with 4 ohm speakers, would like a sub out, very good sound quality, under $500 usd, used is fine. I'm caught between an integrated amp and a reciever. I like the idea of an amp, but would use video input for TV if I got a reciever. I listen to everything (jazz to rap, but mostly rock)

Room= small. Speakers (please don't lash me) - I have a pair of DLS 6.5 very high end (older) 4 ohm components that I am making a custom encosure for, 16 liters, ported. Will take up to 100wrms. I will be adding a sub, eventually. I've always been into high end car audio- this is my first stab at a decent home audio setup. If the speakers don't sound good I'll sell them and get new ones.

After much research I've found the following:

1. NAD c326BEE

2. Marantz PM6004 (no sub pre out- would have to draw high level off the leads)(nicer phono stage, but not a requirement) ($450)

3. Yamaha A-S500 ($300)

4. cambridge audio 650A ($550-700)

5. HK3490 (receiver, looks hideous, but can be found used for cheap) ($300)

6. Marantz SR4023 (receiver, more expensive) ($400-500)

I'm leaning more towards the Marantz SR4023 or the Yamaha A-S500....

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
NAD is highly regarded and I have owned a preamp of theirs for a long time and have been happy with it. NAD is a great value in my experience.

I bought an HK3490 which stayed in my house for about a week. Returned it. Very weak, thin bass, very bright high end. Bad experience.

Cant help you with the others though many speak highly of the Marantz.

kiltedyak50

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the input!

I think the Yamaha will be the most bang for the buck on a budget. It has all the features I need, and is an amp only- which I like.

The Marantz pm6004 looks great, but I don't think my speakers will make the most of what it has to offer.

kiltedyak50

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
These are the speakers I'll be using.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10486_DLS-Iridium-6.2i.html

I contacted the company and they gave me the specs they use for enclosures for them.

TRENDING THREADS