2 B&W ASW610 vs ASW610 or PV1

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi there

I find the B&W subs sound very good especially with music. I used to hate the sound of a sub during stereo music but I am liking it with the B&W asw610. I have read forums where the ASW610 has been praised a lot because of its 500w amp vs. the 200w in the saw610.

I would like to know which would come top of the pdium between 2 asw610 vs 1 asw610xp or PV1.
If you have experience with this please advise.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The B&W ASW subs are quite different to the PV1D.

The positive points for the PV1D is that it includes DSP, so when used with AV receivers that don't EQ the sub bass, it is definitely a clear advantage. Also, the PV1D is excellent for music, being very clean and controlled, mainly because of its cabinet and force cancelling driver arrangement.

The ASW subs will have more bass presence, but they won't be as clean or even sounding as the PV1D. Adding a second sub will reduce overall distortion and improve in-room response. Stacking them on top of each other will give you about a 6dB increase in overall output.

I think between a 610 xp and two 610's, I'd say that the two 610's will have the overall advantage.

Replacing your 610 with a PV1D will clean up your bass and improve music reproduction.

Adding a second sub of the same model won't give you any extra depth. To give you extra depth, you'd need to get a sub with a larger driver and larger cabinet. In the B&W range, this unfortunately jumps up to the DB1. It's a fantastic sub which builds on the design principle of the PV1D, but it's also far more expensive. A Monitor Audio RXW12 is a little bigger, as is the SVS SB12 and the KEF R400b (which also uses the same design principle as the PV1D and DB1). These are all sealed subwoofers.

Theres also the SVS PB12NSD, which is effectively an SB12 in a larger, ported box, which is designed to give a more potent low end in comparison to the sealed subs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I say, the R400b is a similar design to the PV1D and DB1, all using force cancelling techniques, which result in less cabinet vibration, and hence less colouring of the end result. The PV1D and R400b will initially seem a little leaner than other subs, mainly because they're far more accurate than a normal sub, so are excellent for music. Very unintrusive, if you know what I mean.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response David. Just to clarify something what you said above. Are you saying you prefer 1 very good sub to 2 normal sub as in the case of 1 PV1 than 2 asw610? Doesnt the PV1 require careful placement than most other subs. Im asking this because if I were to geta PV1 the 1 sub will be facing the room and the other will be facing the wall. Wont that create some problems with regards to boominess and un-uniform sound coming from either woofer?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
Thanks David. The pv1 and r400b aren't a million miles away in price. How do they compete?

The PV1D has an advantage of the onboard DSP which will help to get the most out of it in almost any room, and that can't be ignored. But if you have an AV receiver with decent room EQ, the R400b will give you a little more weight, depth and presence thanks to it's larger cabinet volume - they're about the same size, but the B&W cuts off the corners, hence less cabinet volume. Other than that, I wouldn't say that they're that different really.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
power said:
Thanks for your response David. Just to clarify something what you said above. Are you saying you prefer 1 very good sub to 2 normal sub as in the case of 1 PV1 than 2 asw610? Doesnt the PV1 require careful placement than most other subs. Im asking this because if I were to geta PV1 the 1 sub will be facing the room and the other will be facing the wall. Wont that create some problems with regards to boominess and un-uniform sound coming from either woofer?

Facing one into the room and one into the wall shouldn't create a big issue. You may find that the volume level of each is a little different (subs are slightly more efficient when they're faced into a wall, nore so when placed in corners), but chances are they'll be at a different level from your seating position anyway. Again, any major issues should be ironed out by the receiver's room EQ.

Personally, I prefer a single, more capable subwoofer than two lesser ones. But, the PV1D isn't a big enough sub to fall into the "getting a single better one" category. It's cabinet volume is no bigger than that of the 610's, so you'll not gain any extra depth over the 610's, just power and the DSP. As I say, you'll have to move to a larger sub which will reach deeper and shift more air to be a major improvement, something like a Monitor Audio RXW12 or SVS PB12.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks David. Ill work around my budget to see whats feasible. The one thing I have realised is that this hobby is like coke addiction. You always want more all the time. Im off to rehab.:cheers:

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
I've just bought a new av amp last week and I'm already looking at my next piece of kit to buy. Either, one of the subs you've mentioned in this thread or, Marantz UD7006 or the Marantz 7025 for (as Jeremy clarckson would say) more POWEEEEEEER!! Just can't get enough :-D

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think I will upgrade the sub and get in ceiling speakers for rears then go for rehab and stick to what I have. Im very happy with the Harman avr660 because of its amazing power though its starting to lag behind in technology. Its so powerful it can be used as a tug boat. I know I will have a relapse later and start upgrading again.

i will cross that bridge when the time comes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts