2.1 or 5.1? Which Amp and speakers setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

having been away from HiFi and AV for a few years I find a vast amount of products that are completely new to me.

I am looking to purchase a music(CD) and DVD setup. I have owned 2 ch equipment for music and also 5.1 equipment in the past. (Mission CD/Denon PMA250/Tannoy M20 Gold) (Denon AVR/Kef 2005/Pioneer DVD)

From my experience with the above, I know I do not want a sub and sat speaker setup but would rather look at 2 ch or 5.1 with no sub. My preference is for music (Rock/Metal) but also watch Sky + (on Panasonic PZ42) and plan on purchasing a Blu Ray player (possibly Panasonic)

Can anyone suggest an amp and speaker solution? Budget is very small :-(

I still have the Tannoy speakers but would prefer something a little smaller, didn't much like Kef eggs either. Many thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

jakeblues68: From my experience with the above, I know I do not want a sub and sat speaker setup but would rather look at 2 ch or 5.1 with no sub.

Even with large speakers, a sub makes a lot of sense. Don't let your past experiences get you religous about not having a sub.

Cross over to the sub at 80Hz for example and you'll still get the "full body of sound" from the main speakers AND the added weight of a sub. Of course, that requires satellites a bit bigger than what fits in the palm of your hand
emotion-5.gif

Sadly, the whole "style package" junk (with B**e in a very comfortable lead) has given a lot of people the wrong idea about what subwoofers are about.

Matt E.

A

Anonymous

Whilst I would like to retain a decent stereo sound, I am quite willing to look at a surround setup to achieve this and more. However I DO NOT want a SUB in that package. They are unsightly and make the whole experience far to weighty, bass can be over done, it would be too much for the kids asleep upstairs and also not good for the neighbours.

I like the Tannoy experience but thought my M20's would be too old.

As mentioned I have used Kef Eggs previously, they were to be honest.....rubbish. Ugly and very expensive for the resulting sound.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in the original post.

A

Anonymous

a quick note to add,

I want to listen (and get the best from) the sound from SKY+, Blu Ray player and CD Player. My TV is a Full HD Plasma.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts