2.1 for movies and music v. 5.1 - speaker placement

Juzzie Wuzzie

As my signature shows, I currently use a 5.1 set-up for both home cinema and music. However, I'm interested in shifting to a Naim Uniti / Cyrus 2.1 set-up in order to achieve a "minimalist + more" outcome. I'm finding everything I watch or listen to is either via Sky HD+ / Apple TV / iTunes, and physical discs are purely decorative. The concern I have with a 2.1 set up, and primarily no centre speaker, is to get the correct speaker set up. If the speakers are immediately either side of the television, I expect dialogue will be central, but for music, the sound stage narrow. Conversely, if the speakers are wider of the television, a wider sound stage, but apart from the person sitting in the centre "sweet spot", will dialogue sound more left or right (depending on what side of the television you are sitting). As it is only the rear speakers that I truly feel I can do without, I fear I might end up with running a 3.1 system - which eliminates the Naim / Cyrus set-up that I hunger for. I would be interested in people's comments who are running a 2.1 (or even 2.0) system for both movies and music.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Aim for a pair of stereo speakers that have good imaging qualities. As you will be adding a sunwoofer anyway you won't nees satellites that produce lots of bass as well. Maybe worth a look is AVI's Neutron 2.1? I used to have some mission floorstanders either side of my TV and did find dialogue could be a little lost, but I'm sure there are better speakers available. Certainly, when i listened to Kef's Q300 stereo speakers the imaging was incredibly good. I think those speakers partnered with a good subwoofer would be excellent for 2.1 movie watching. My own Q Acoustics is a 2.1 unit and I'm more than happy with it, but you clearly have a bigger budget available, with care you should be able to assemble a very impressive combination!

Good luck.

John Duncan

Well I have a Uniti with a Yamaha doing surround, and here's what I do; the 'front' speakers are in totally the wrong position for movies, so when I watch a film I move the speakers into position. There's no way they could go there permanently.

I actually have the fronts wired the wrong way round (R/L instead of L/R) - this has no real effect on music but means I only have to move one speaker for films, and they then become L/R when I swap them over. Does that make sense?

I have no centre.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
Well I have a Uniti with a Yamaha doing surround, and here's what I do; the 'front' speakers are in totally the wrong position for movies, so when I watch a film I move the speakers into position. There's no way they could go there permanently.

I actually have the fronts wired the wrong way round (R/L instead of L/R) - this has no real effect on music but means I only have to move one speaker for films, and they then become L/R when I swap them over. Does that make sense?

I have no centre.

That sounds like a right royal pain in the nethers! And as for the L/R - I even make damn sure I get the "L" and "R" right on my earbuds... as the artist intended :)

John Duncan

snivilisationism said:
John Duncan said:

I have no centre.

That sounds like a right royal pain in the nethers! And as for the L/R - I even make damn sure I get the "L" and "R" right on my earbuds... as the artist intended :)

Oh yes, total PITA. But Mrs JD would prefer we just had a Bose Sounddock, so i'll take that compromise...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts