2-0 Groberton !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

have just completed the second phase of my cunning plan of world HiFi domination!

I bought a Cyrus 8 xpd in summer and have today added the Va Beethoven Baby Grands from SSAV at £1700 off!

next move? Well.......

Either add QX as £400 Cyrus upgrade and buy £700 CD transport or....

roksan m2 cd

Then headphones, headphone amp, streamer, better cables etc etc

Happy New Year all

A

Anonymous

Brilliant. Glad you like the speakers. I am still in awe of mine.

I have the QX version of the amp and am running an old Sony CD transport through it. You might like to know that when I was auditioning the speakers I had my Sony CDP and a Cyrus CD6SE both hooked up via optical cable to the 8xpd and when switching between the two I couldn't tell any difference (which makes sense really).

How much were your Baby Grands? I must admit they are the most incredible speaker I have heard.

A

Anonymous

Wow! I thought mine were good at £2299. You got a bargain there.

This system was reviewed by WHF at the end of last year and got five stars all round. I asked what cables they used and someone (remarkably) remembered they used solid core Cyrus speaker cable and they recommended I try the solid core DNM so I think that will be my next purchase. Although I am currently using QED cable and I don't find things too bright.

I would be interested in what CDs you find sound good on your system - I have found some amazing ones (and some not so amazing).

A

Anonymous

Will be using exisiting Chord Silverscreen. I will find out which of my CD,s are good quality wise fairly soon. Seems to me that New music by younger artists is badly recorded and produced. As I have a short attention span though I feel the need to buy new bands - radio 6 helps but still make plenty of mistakes.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
you know, those Baby Grands are the one and only set of speakers that I have heard,that made me take a step back and go wow.

A

Anonymous

I was auditioning a pair of B&Ws after hearing some Spendors and I was not happy with what I heard. I figured I would listen to the Baby Grands to see what things were like at the higher end of the range and I was so blown away by them (quite like Moon) that I knew these were the ones for me.

Having now bought some they are showing up all kinds of good and bad recordings/CD pressings. Here's a couple:

Phil Collins - Face Value - Always a good choice for dynamics and clarity

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly - Super warmth and atmosphere

Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the night - sounds like it was recorded yesterday on some amazing digital equipment - you can hear everything!

Most of todays recordings are pretty disappointing.

A

Anonymous

Hope I am as blown away when I get them in my front room Moon!

Screamadelica by Primal Scream is one of the favourite CD's

I just bought the Kraftwerk box set re- mastered , also pretty high quality

I am hoping that even the Wurzels will sound good

A

Anonymous

One of the problems with CDs today is the mastering process. This has gone haywire over the last couple of decades - so in a lot of cases the newly remastered versions of CDs don't sound as good as a 20 year old one. Have a look at the graphics here - http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm to see what's happened.

A

Anonymous

Have looked at the Linn label but bar a few classical recordings they don't have anything for me

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to you, i now know why some of these cd's sound so poor, the better the hi fi the more it seems to show up.While I'm waiting for my va concert grands to arrive I'm listening through my old Rega Jura's and even with these i can hear what the compression and poor production has done to some cd's. Thank you for the link you left, very interesting and informative about the production of some recent cd's. At least it seems that the producers are striving to make a change and stop this degrade and reverse the trend and get back some of the quality that is sadly missing in cd production of late.The new cd from Seal is very well produced as is the Alice Cooper cd I'v been listening to the revamped cd's from Pink Floyd and find it hard to tell much of a difference from the originals but then the orignals were pretty good to start with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts