1st turntable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK, it's official - hanging out here is expensive! All this talk of vinyl has made me dig out my collection from the loft and reminisce about music of the late 70's and 80's.

I need to get a turntable, and have been frustrated by ebay this week, loosing out on a Linn Axis and an Accoustic Research, so now I'm thinking new (but on a budget of £200). Any recommendations ? I'm thinking of the Project Genie 3 or similar. All advice is appreciated as I have a lot to learn.

Thanks, Martin

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Rega's new RP1 turntable £225.

Dont forget to budget for a phono amp as well, unless you have that facility on your amp. If not a rega Phono Mini will do the job nicely £55 ish new, sometimes come up on e-bay as well.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:Rega's new RP1 turntable £225.

Dont forget to budget for a phono amp as well, unless you have that facility on your amp. If not a rega Phono Mini will do the job nicely £55 ish new, sometimes come up on e-bay as well.

Seconded. (Although it's a Rega Fono-Mini)
emotion-1.gif

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Im no expert but i have had a Project Debut 3 with Rega Fono-Mini for 7 weeks now and im more than pleased with it,i play vinyl from the 70s and 80s and the sound is great for the money.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Your PM4200 has already got a reasonable phono stage, so as long as you get a TT with a Moving Magnet cartridge (I believe all new sub-£300 turntables will fit into this category) then you don't need to worry about this.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
MartSmith:
OK, it's official - hanging out here is expensive! All this talk of vinyl has made me dig out my collection from the loft and reminisce about music of the late 70's and 80's.

I need to get a turntable, and have been frustrated by ebay this week, loosing out on a Linn Axis and an Accoustic Research, so now I'm thinking new (but on a budget of £200). Any recommendations ? I'm thinking of the Project Genie 3 or similar. All advice is appreciated as I have a lot to learn.

Thanks, Martin
How about getting a project essential turntable (£149..might get it cheaper) and then get a ortofon 2M red cartridge for £69..slightly over your budget overall but worth considering :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far;

Is there much of a difference between the Essential and the RP1?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MartSmith:Is there much of a difference between the Essential and the RP1?

Not a good question to answer for someone who used Rega turntables from 1983 until just a year ago!

Get the RP1. (There, i've said it.)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
MartSmith:Is there much of a difference between the Essential and the RP1?

Not a good question to answer for someone who used Rega turntables from 1983 until just a year ago!

Get the RP1. (There, i've said it.)

Never owned a Rega so can't comment but Chebby is just being biased. Go for a Pro-ject essential and you will have money for a good cartridge! :) (that is me being biased- ha ha)

PS: Rega do make great turntables and RP1 would be a very good purchase

Come to think of it, if it were my money...I would ctually go for the Rega RP1- it looks better built than the Essential.

...decisions decisions...I know! they suck!

A

Anonymous

OK, I'm pursuaded tp go for the RP1. Do I need any connectors,or are they built in?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
MartSmith:OK, I'm pursuaded tp go for the RP1. Do I need any connectors,or are they built in?You don't need any connectors at this point, they should supply you with a pair of standard interconnects and earth wire to connect to your amp phono section. Although, you might end upgrading these cables at a later date :)

If you end up getting a separate phonostage, you will need another pair of interconnects.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts