15 of the best piano tracks to test your system

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
See WHF list here.

nils-frahm-playing-the-piano.jpg

Any other recommendations from the forum community?

insider9

For some reason I don't listen to as much piano based music as this wonderful instrument deserves. Although, not so long ago I found a pianist I really like and that really moved me with her music - Zoe Rahman

Edit
About whom this thread reminded me of so, thanks. Looking forward to many other suggestions. Although can't even keep up on jazz thread so where will I find time to listen to all this wonderful music :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks (2004)

Though his evocative debut album Memoryhouse introduced Max Richter's fusion of classical music, electronica and found-sounds (a style he calls "post-Classical"), it's his follow-up, The Blue Notebooks, that really showcases the style's -- and Richter's -- potential. The album's ten pieces were inspired by Kafka's Blue Octavo Notebooks, and quotes such as "Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one ****** up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall,"

Max%2BRichter.jpeg

The album is simpler than Memoryhouse, with a smaller ensemble of musicians playing on it and a shorter running time, but its restraint makes it a more powerful work -- it's so beautiful and fully realized that it doesn't need to be showy. As other reviews have mentioned, Richter tends to be a more traditional-minded composer than influences like Brian Eno, Philip Glass and Steve Reich. However, his sound works so well and seems so natural because he's not trying to be overtly experimental; the album ranges from pieces with little or no electronic elements.

The Blue Notebooks is a stunning album, and one that should be heard not just by classical and electronica fans, but anyone who values thoughtful, subtly expressive music.

Vladimir said:

Though his evocative debut album Memoryhouse introduced Max Richter's fusion of classical music, electronica and found-sounds (a style he calls "post-Classical"), it's his follow-up, The Blue Notebooks, that really showcases the style's -- and Richter's -- potential. The album's ten pieces were inspired by Kafka's Blue Octavo Notebooks, and quotes such as "Everyone carries a room about inside them. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one ****** up one's ears and listens, say at night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall,"

The album is simpler than Memoryhouse, with a smaller ensemble of musicians playing on it and a shorter running time, but its restraint makes it a more powerful work -- it's so beautiful and fully realized that it doesn't need to be showy. As other reviews have mentioned, Richter tends to be a more traditional-minded composer than influences like Brian Eno, Philip Glass and Steve Reich. However, his sound works so well and seems so natural because he's not trying to be overtly experimental; the album ranges from pieces with little or no electronic elements.

The Blue Notebooks is a stunning album, and one that should be heard not just by classical and electronica fans, but anyone who values thoughtful, subtly expressive music.

What no Rick Wakeman? (Piano Portraits)

No Eddie Boyd, Otis Spann or Oscar Peterson?? etc., etc

insider9

Vladimir said:

Thanks, Vladimir! Will give it a listen this evening.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:

Scoring low on the Hipster scale. Try Wim Mertens, Philip Glass, Michael Nyman, Yann Tiersen.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:

Scoring low on the Hipster scale. Try Wim Mertens, Philip Glass, Michael Nyman, Yann Tiersen.

I always did.... but, yes, them as well... :)

Plus a load of females I could mention.

Like Hélène Grimaud?

229c7e0f16fbbbb79ccff7df1a00fa33.jpg

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
is Nightswimming. As with others, I'd recommend Hélène Grimaud, but the defining player of fairly recent years is Glenn Gould. In fact everything else pales in comparison with him. If you want to hear genius, take a listen.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
is Nightswimming. As with others, I'd recommend Hélène Grimaud, but the defining player of fairly recent years is Glenn Gould. In fact everything else pales in comparison with him. If you want to hear genius, take a listen.

Sviatoslav Richter > Glen Gould :p

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Not much piano on that Max Richter album for a piano thread :) Nice string scores and very interesting album nevertheless, thanks.

Thats what I had playing atm and used you to shill my musical taste to the forum.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
avole said:

One word: Bach. Who does it better?

Not a major fan of Richter, but, I'd agree, he is one of the greats.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
Vladimir said:
avole said:

One word: Bach. Who does it better?

Not a major fan of Richter, but, I'd agree, he is one of the greats.

One word: if Gould could have turned himself into a synthesizer, he would have.
Richter feels human, energetic, flawed yet masterful. I think of him as Led Zeppelin, while Gould is Steely Dan.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
Gould? No, he's more than that. Steely Dan are pop by numbers. They don't do emotion, but Gould does.

Donald Fagen and his fans would disagree.

It is pedantic, clinical, sterile process of making music, just like Gould preference for being locked up in recording studios. He was obsessed in 'getting it perfect'. Richter was all about live performance and 'emotion'.

Two of the most interesting artists currently before the public, and still in their twenties, are Daniil Trifonov and Benjamin Grosvenor. Trifonov's album called 'Transcendental' on DG has Liszt playing of at least Richter's calibre, and that is of course saying a lot. Grosvenor is more like a Shura Charkassky, impish and witty, with charm and daring. Well recorded on Decca - several discs available.

Longer established, much by Murray Perahia is beautifully and intelligently played, particular more recent Sony records, though he has just switched to DG. One of his finest performances is of the Goldberg variations, which of course was Gould's calling card.

TRENDING THREADS