13 years old and finally thinking about an upgrade

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I have just brought out my 13 year Hifi out of 8 years of hibernation and am really pleased with the sound (leaves the Yamaha/Bose AV combination that replaced it for dead).

The system is as follows:

Denon DCD 1290

Audio Alchemy DDE 1.1 DAC with good grade Audioquest interconnects.

Arcam Delta 90

Mission 751 speakers, bi-wired, sitting on medium quality QED speaker stands.

Things have obviously moved on over the 13 years.

What should I replace first if I chose to upgrade?

I think it should be the CD player. If so, would current CD players supercede the need for the DAC (which was my pride and joy when I bought it).

Any suggestions on where to start would be helpful

Thanks

Pete

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
NAD 515 doesn't seem that expensive. Gather it provides plenty of bang for the bucks.

Would I use that standalone or with my Audio Alchemy DAC?

What about if I started to look for a player sub £500?

Would that get me a marked improvement over my current CD player or the NAD?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Good little starter stuff for paper round money.

The system's 13 years old, not the OP!
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
drummerman:Good little starter stuff for paper round money.

The system's 13 years old, not the OP!
emotion-2.gif

Got tears in my eyes. Can't remember the last time I've laughed that much. I am, and I really mean this, very sorry for that!

A

Anonymous

Hehehehe, quite funny that.

But seriously, imo any cdp worth its salt is simultaneously a good transport and DAC. Otherwise why spend so much on the deck if half of it goes to a dac you're going to bypass anyway?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... (diverting attention) ... you could consider replacing the DAC with a newer one. CA has a new one and there are other options. No idea on how it sounds but this publication seems to be pretty positive about it. You then could spend any remaining money on an amplifier. (Fatman's soon to be released redi looks very interesting). If you like Arcam I believe they sell the A70 for £300 now. With regards to speakers I think would wait and save for something like Rega R3's or Usher S520. There's not much below that would be a significant upgrade to what you have.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
LOL Drummerman.

I suppose the two main bits of kit that I was never really 100% happy with were the speaker stands and the CD player.

If I keep the old DAC, will using a higher grade CD as a transport improve matters considerably, or will I find if I spend circa £500 on the CD player, that the built-in DAC will render my external DAC useless

John Duncan

Pete Shields:
LOL Drummerman.

I suppose the two main bits of kit that I was never really 100% happy with were the speaker stands and the CD player.

If I keep the old DAC, will using a higher grade CD as a transport improve matters considerably, or will I find if I spend circa £500 on the CD player, that the built-in DAC will render my external DAC useless

Isn't it past your bedtime, sonny?

T

the record spot

I'd go for a CD player upgrade; the speakers will last an upgrade or two yet and the amp is no slouch from memory.

A

Anonymous

There's some good deals about on the Musical Fidelity v8 CDP (Lintone Audio for example) which is a damn good CDP that uses a separate PSU. I think it would be a good bet as it's a very good transport too. If you prefer the sound of your DAC then you get a decent transport, else use the MF's internal DAC (very detailed).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts