11.2 or 11.1 owners club

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll endorse VoodooDoctor and BowserWilkens in saying that using 11 speakers doesn't necessarily mean blasting them out. (Although 11 speakers are certainly better than five for blasting out, should one choose!)

My Denon AVR-4810 receiver runs only Audyssey, so I can't compare with NeoX, sorry.

In 2010 my big brother asked if all the 11 speakers were really necessary. On my Denon it's quite easy to switch between playing a Blu-ray from straight 5.1 to using all 11 speakers. Of course, it's the receiver that creates the surround back, front wide and front height channels. When I switch from 11.1 to 5.1, the straight 5.1 really is quite significantly less involving, it just sounds as if something is missing!

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
my processor does Neo X but I actually prefer Audyssey DSX, don't ask why I just do

i'm geared up ready with 16 channels or amplification, well actually I've got 21 tbh but whose counting lol

bring on the next generation of processors with Dolby Atmos

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
ideal av said:
my processor does Neo X but I actually prefer Audyssey DSX, don't ask why I just do

i'm geared up ready with 16 channels or amplification, well actually I've got 21 tbh but whose counting lol

bring on the next generation of processors with Dolby Atmos

Then you tell me I'm nuts lol.....

I did like the sound of your 11.2 system I must admit.... Oh God the coggs are turning again!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
sheggs said:
duaplex said:
My room is currently being configured to take a 16.4 setup. This is in anticipation of Dolby Atmos, but yes I could run 11.2 so sign me up to the club!!

16.4!!!!

I'm starting to think that you lot are just making things up now to make my life harder!!!
smiley-laughing.gif

Now, now.... I can try much harder and tell you about the 2 F212's I am about to install in my room :rofl:

16.4.... I shall break it down for you

3 fronts

3 Front Heights

2 Sides

2 side heighs

2 rears

2 Ceiling speakers

4 Subs - Each corner (2 currenrtly at the front)

The beauty is with new formats you can have as many speakers as you like :) The current format is compatible for Audyssey, Presence and beyond :)

Joking aside, configure and wire for every scenario. It does not hurt to run cables and if you are worried about cost etc, then dont be OFC cable is fine and this is what I am about to run with a system that is just shy of 40k.

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
That sounds fantastic!

I'm thinking about buying another pair of B&W ds6's off ebay with the intention of doubling the L/R surround channels.

They're going cheap & I feel having an extra pair might fill things out even more. The current 11.2 set up is a little front heavy in terms of speakers; 7 at the front & only 4 at the back. Adding another pair of surrounds might even things up. Of course, I'd use an external power amp to run them & I don't think Audyssey should get too confused when measuring distance & level; I already use the same speakers for surround.

I can really recommend the B&W cdm snt speakers too - I tried switching out my P6 fronts & running the snts instead - I almost kept them as front duty speakers - they sound so clean. There are some going cheap on ebay as well.

I think that the natural progression for me will be to switch to a complete pre-amp/power amp set up....... one day. The advantage being that it's easier to swap out the pre-amp when new formats(Atmos etc) become mainstream rather than buying a whole new receiver.

On another note, are there any demo Blu Rays anyone might recommend for a large set up? I don't mean clips from movies but rather a dedicated demo disc. Or is there anything I could download onto my mac mini that would make good 11.2 demo material?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts