1 star Saxon CD300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks again Simon,>P

At the moment we only know that the Saxon has poor build quality,and the what hifi? team didn't rate the sound at all,I just thought it a idea to let the manufacture respond to reviews,and give their opinion,maybe it was a Friday afternoon model,who knows,I remember a pink triangle a few years back that kept breaking,and in the end wasn't reviewed by means of any stars.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="silly"]Thanks again Simon,>P
I just thought it a idea to let the manufacture respond to reviews,and give their opinion[/quote]

Manufacturers as welcome as anyone here...

A

Anonymous

The paragraph that went missing I was mentioning about a home cinema magazine I read,where once the product has been reviewed,the manufacture,or distributor is allowed to comment on the review in about 30 or 40 words,which I felt was a good idea so the public knew what they felt about the review they received of their product that was submitted.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="silly"]Thanks again Simon,>P
I just thought it a idea to let the manufacture respond to reviews,and give their opinion[/quote]

Manufacturers as welcome as anyone here...
[/quote]

Sorry in meant in the magazine not on the forum per se.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Silly

No one except the editorial team gets to see the magazine before it hits the shops. We have to endure quite enough pony being talked about our relationship with our advertising department without letting manufacturers look at reviews of their products before the magazine is even for sale.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
All these posts for 1 star saxson cdp, if it's got a 5 stars review, would it get 10 pages responsed on the forum? or may be not!

A

Anonymous

Thaiman,

I think it's just a case of it being quite a rare occurance and Saxon have caught the brunt of it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
All these posts for 1 star saxson cdp, if it's got a 5 stars review, would it get 10 pages responsed on the forum? or may be not!

[/quote]

Can't wait for the movie version of Simon and Silly's dialogue: When Hairless Met Silly

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It appears there are a few things to note here.

I personally work in advertising and would love it if we could get our brands more stars in their relevant publications. Fortunately for the consumer this isn't the case, and WHF are quite right in not letting advertisers who spend most money get one up on other brands. That's fraud, and would lead to less choice for everyone. It's rather like the situation on the High Street where every road looks the same with a Tesco, Starbucks, McDonalds etc etc. Nasty!

Secondly, I can't understand why Saxon sent an example that had such bad fit and finish. How to kill a product in one easy step. Surely the person responsible for this should have a stern talking-to, or maybe the product is so poorly made that all the players are dire, in which case someone else should have a talking-to.

Saxon have screwed up. If it were my business, then the test machines would be examined, run-in, cosseted, loved, polished...but then again the quality would be built in too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Rare....apart from the two other one-star reviews in the very same issue that no-one has mentioned here at all![/quote]

I was just referring to CD players...sorry.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

Can't wait for the movie version of Simon and Silly's dialogue: When Hairless Met Silly
[/quote]

LOL,I heard it will be good,Saxon are doing the soundtrack.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]

Secondly, I can't understand why Saxon sent an example that had such bad fit and finish. How to kill a product in one easy step. Surely the person responsible for this should have a stern talking-to, or maybe the product is so poorly made that all the players are dire, in which case someone else should have a talking-to.

Saxon have screwed up. If it were my business, then the test machines would be examined, run-in, cosseted, loved, polished...but then again the quality would be built in too.
[/quote]

Well,if you had followed my mumblings of a madman,I brought up the point that Saxon submitted the Cd700 2 years ago, it received 4 stars in it's review.Why they submitted the player in that condition?,I haven't the faintest idea,but I'm sure they will rectify it like any serious manufacture would try to do.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
[/quote]

No such thing as bad publicity? Hmm... or not.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Simon look very nice....hairless.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
68244124_o.jpg

or some would prefer Simon with a extra cool hair-do!
(Dear simon....sorry, you may delete it if you wish....Andrew is the one that started it! he he)

A

Anonymous

I think no hair looks cool,better than some guy who has no hair on top and ties the back part in a pony tail,or Elton John with wig,jeez,BTW is still have my hair.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it intrigues me how products are chosen for review. When i was wanting to make a purchse i read all the magazines I could lay my hands on, as well as visiting shops and looking at the internet.

In the end what suited me was a Rega system (amp, cd and record deck) - but from review/listing in magazines I would have never even heard of the electronics if it wasn't for my awareness of the record deck.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am so sure that WhatHifi reviews many Rega equipments. Congrat for your purchase as I think Rega gears are great, which models did you get?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="deaddog_2003"]Sorry to hijack the thread, but it intrigues me how products are chosen for review. [/quote]

I think they are usually reviewed if the manufacturer submits a sample for review. Otherwise, they're not.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're not that passive! We spend a lot of time out and about discovering new products - see our coverage of the IFA and CEDIA shows within the last week for the most obvious evidence - and ask to review them first.

If a manufacturer doesn't want to supply kit, we buy it if we feel it's a product a majority of our readers want to know about (ie that will be widely available) - we've done this recently on anything from an NAD stereo amplifier to a Sony home cinema system.

On the topic of Rega, we have its latest turntable upgrade coming up in the November issue (out in two weeks time) and the latest Apollo CD player in the issue after that.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Looking forward to the Rega Apollo review by WHF. I found it to be an excellent and musical CD player, even with the Starship Enterprise looking top cover, and the CD clamp that looks like it came straight out of a computer laptop. Both the Apollo and the Saturn have been very highly rated by other magazines.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts