£400 for speakers or a AV receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to improve upon my current system: Monitor Audio BX2's along with an Onkyo TX-SR308.
In essence, the AV receiver hooks up a Sky HD box as well as a Bluray player to my tv. The budget for a new component is £400. However, I'm willing to spend slightly more if it is worth it. So, what should I buy? Looking forward to hearing your responses. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
I'm looking to improve upon my current system: Monitor Audio BX2's along with an Onkyo TX-SR308. In essence, the AV receiver hooks up a Sky HD box as well as a Bluray player to my tv. The budget for a new component is £400. However, I'm willing to spend slightly more if it is worth it. So, what should I buy next?
Worthy amplifier contenders: Denon AVR-2113, Pioneer VSX-1122-K, Onkyo TX-NR616, and Yamaha RX-V673. Considering these speakers: Kef Q300, B&W 685, Dali IKON 1 MK2, Mordaunt Short MEZZO 2, Arcaydis DM1, Monitor Audi RX1, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6, and the EB Acoustics EB1.Looking forward to hearing your responses.Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm looking to improve upon my current system: Monitor Audio BX2's along with an Onkyo TX-SR308. In essence, the AV receiver hooks up a Sky HD box as well as a Bluray player to my tv. The budget for a new component is £400. However, I'm willing to spend slightly more if it is worth it. So, what should I buy next?

Worthy amplifier contenders: Denon AVR-2113, Pioneer VSX-1122-K, Onkyo TX-NR616, and Yamaha RX-V673.

Considering these speakers: Kef Q300, B&W 685, Dali IKON 1 MK2, Mordaunt Short MEZZO 2, Arcaydis DM1, Monitor Audi RX1, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6, and the EB Acoustics EB1.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Forgive me if I've missed it, but are you using just a pair of BX2s or are you using a full 5.1 package?

If you're just listening in stereo, can't you buy a good 2-channel amp and just hook your sources up with analogue interconnects?

If you want to go for surround, perhaps some BX5s for the front, moving your BX2s to the surround channels, or if you want to stick with standmounts, you could get some BX1s for surround duties.

Does the 308 decode HD audio? You could look at the 609 which having just been superceded should be found with money off the RRP. Not sure if this is worth it if you're just sticking with 2 channel though.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You could look at an A/V receiver higher up the range that lets you use the unused surround rear channels to Bi-amp your BX2s. This would be a two fold upgrade. Better receiver with better sound/more power and also bi-amping your BX2s for more control.

You'd have to do some investigating into which receivers for your budget would allow this. I know my old 875 can do this, so I'm sure the ability would have filtered down the range in the 4/5 years I've had my amp.

A

Anonymous

Hi Big Chris,

I use the BX2's alone. For the moment, plan to stick to a 2 channel system. However, in the future I will add more speakers.

The only critique about the Onkyo is the lack of power to clarity. The BX2's fare well in producing sound, the soundstage is wide to refine in musicality. Though, it isn't lively nor engaging and the bass is low, but agile and meaty. Sure, the Onkyo can decode HD audio.

P.S Have had a look at the Onkyo 609, but I do much prefer the new model.

A

Anonymous

How do I check if an AV receiver can Bi-amp? On the manufactures website there seems to be no details about such feature.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
A lot of 7.1 capable amps have the ability to use the unused surround rear channels to bi-amp the front speakers. I'll start a thread on your behalf, see if we can get a shortlist for you.:)

A

Anonymous

If I bought a Hi-Fi amplifier, would I be able to receive audio from the sources in the AV receiver, which are a Sky HD box to a Bluray player?

On that note: Could I Bi-amp or Bi-wire the speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts