£250 for amp + speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, for my 16th birthday, i was planning to get an Amp and a set of speakers. I'd like to spend around £250, i'm not expecting excellent quality, just decent equipment. They would go in a fairly small room, so the system does not have to be very powerfull. The amp will have my computer plugged into it from my soundcard. And a possible turntable addon later on.

I listen to guitar music, but also quite bassy dub/dubstep, so it would be nice for the speakers to have good bass. Or possibly a seperate subwoofer.

At the moment i was looking at

TANNOY MercuryF1D/Oak

DENON PMA500AESilver

from www.hiwayhifi.com.

I would plug the computer into the amp via RCA, or if possible optical digital (which i would purchace a digital sound card for my computer (Creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio 7.1

- Speaker and Headphone connections for stereo to 7.1 (Line Out via three 3.5mm mini jacks)
- Line In / Microphone In / Digital Out1 / Digital I/O2 (shared 3.5mm FlexiJack)
- Auxiliary Line level Input (via 4-pin Molex connector)
- 24-Bit/96kHz 7.1 )

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-052-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

Any help welcome, thanks

A

Anonymous

I don't know much about good hi fi kit but am just about to buy my first separates.

Amp: Marantz PM4001 (WHF 5*) for £80 from Richer Sounds until Friday

Speakers: Monitor Audio BR2's (Best speakers £150-£250 2007) for £150 in the Sevenoaks sale

You may want to get some more educated advice but don't think you'll find much better for your budget.

A

Anonymous

i was looking at the Eltax monitor 3 on richersound, they look quite good, with 'powerfull bass', saving RRP £130, and selling for £70.

still not quite sure on what amp to get, need some help
emotion-1.gif

live in hertfordshire, so pick up from richersound isnt a problem, as there is one in watford.

also, im not sure that the monitors will provide enough bass, i think a subwoofer may be necessary, or a 2.1 system, but to be honest, you will know more than me on this.

thanks welschris

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
A word of warning on the Monitor 3s, the bass port exits at the bottom, hence the feet- so you will need stands with very large top-plates for them.
I never had any problem getting bass from them however if you prefer Monster bass maybe you should consider some floorstanders?

A

Anonymous

Hi tom i have the marantz pm4001 and think its an excellant budget amp and matched with the MA BR2's would be very nice combo, but try to demo anything you are considering

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tomdunlop24"]I would plug the computer into the amp via RCA, or if possible optical digital (which i would purchace a digital sound card for my computer (Creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio 7.1

- Speaker and Headphone connections for stereo to 7.1 (Line Out via three 3.5mm mini jacks)
- Line In / Microphone In / Digital Out1 / Digital I/O2 (shared 3.5mm FlexiJack)
- Auxiliary Line level Input (via 4-pin Molex connector)
- 24-Bit/96kHz 7.1 )

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-052-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

Any help welcome, thanks

[/quote]

The idea of using the digital conenction from the sound card to the amp is too tempting to resist. However, you need an amp with digital inputs for that. With an amp sans digital inputs you are left with only analouge connections. There are sound cards that provide good analouge sound but I don't think they are reasonably priced.
At the price you are looking, IMO, your best way out is to use a USB DAC with RCA connectors.

For speakers, consider Wharfedale Diamond and Evo series.

If these put together don't fit inside your budget, may be you can look at AudioEngine speakers. I heard someone praise them at this very forum. Demands a consideration.

A

Anonymous

right thanks for all the help, could someone elabourate as to what a USB DAC is, or and links/prices for them. Also, any other means of connecting a computer to an amp, thanks

John Duncan

Richer Sounds were doing the 340C+340A/SE+Speakers for 300 quid (if you mentioned the What Hifi Advert). You'd get 100 quid for the CD player on eBay easy (seeing as it's flavour of the month), or it may even be better than the one you've got.

A

Anonymous

right, i'm now thinking of getting the
Bookshelf Speakers
Cambridge Audio S30

Amplifier
Cambridge Audio A5

FREE
Kensington 33350 iPod Dock!
Worth £49.​
with the numark TT USB turnable with USB output.

still unsure as to how to plug in my computer to this. a CD player is not needed, but thanks

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a decent choice mate, but I doubt you will get the bass you are looking for to be honest. If you have any spare cash see if you can get yourself a subwoofer. REL and MJ Acoustics make particulary musical subs which will intergrate with your S30's nicely. Keep your eye out for the REL Quake, they can be found for about £150 if you look hard enough.

A

Anonymous

to be honest, i dont think i can afford to spend £150 on a subwoofer, i have a Logitech z-4 subwoofer, is there a way i could plug that into it?

A

Anonymous

Not sure, but if it the SW has a speaker in/out or RCA connections in the back you may be able to connect it. I wouldn't bother tho, as the logitech is more for a PC system and could possible ruin the sound rather than add to it. I would defo consider investing in a decent SW when you can afford.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
tomdunlop24 - theres a thread entitled "Sound Card Or External DAC" in this section that may be of help. I've just looked to see what page its on but didnt find it. Anyway, if you enter it into the search field itll come up.

A

Anonymous

right, thanks al7478, i look at the thread.

ranglo - the sub is connected by 1 3.5mm jack, and the sound quality is pretty good, i use it for music on my computer. And if i don't want to use the sub at some point, i can turn it off and just use the speakers.

ive looked for DACs, and all i can find are ones for £100, are there any cheaper models?

EDIT:

right, ive talked to the people at richer sounds, and they reckon that a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable will be fine with sound quality, as long as i have a decent sound card, which i can buy easily as i mentioned about, does that sound right?

also, my z-4 subwoofer (which is powered seperately) can be plugged into the amp via 3.5 to RCA into an output, but would this be ok, or would the sub be trying to produce all the high and mid end sound?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i cant help with the sub im afraid, and i think you'd be unlikely to get a decent DAC for much less than 100, from what i can gather. You could always add it later tho. The rest sounds ok. Im using a similar setup to yours, and dont have a DAC, nor a dedicated sound card as yet, just on board sound. im sure my sound could improve, but im not dissappointed, by any means. let us know how it goes.

A

Anonymous

There is quite alot of budget stuff on the market so its really up to you, if i had 250 pounds i would buy a dog, something like a bass hound, these have a bark that offers deep base that will anoy the neighbours, of particular note is the sweet treble, but if dogs arent your bag id go for a camberidge audio a5 with a pair of mordaunt short avant 902i.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
jimm's sarcasm notwithstanding (all in jest, jimm), i'd do as you're doing, if you really want a sub, then get a better one later. but first, id try whatever setup you get with just the speakers, and see if you still really think a sub is necassary. When i made the move from pc speakers, i thought i would need a sub with my MA BR2s, but when i listened i was rapidly dissabused of the notion. Just aswell, as i have absolutely no room to position a sub.

A

Anonymous

sorry mate, my reply was a little off, go with what sounds best to you! ive had a really bad day so the comment about the dog is void, happy 16th! (wish it was mine again) trust your ears,!

A

Anonymous

right, well i got the cambrige audio deal (A5 + A30s) with the audio technica turbtable. I can plug my sub into the amp, ill see how i feel about, if i dont like it i can just sell my pc speakers for a bit and save up for a better one if i need it. thanks everyone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts