£2000 budget, all on AV amp or split between AV amp and stereo amp?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Right, so I was all set to buy either a Yamaha RXV1900 or RXV3900 along with a mid level stereo amp (ie Roksan Kandy or Cyrus 8vs2 or similar). I want these to run PMC speakers in a 5.1 set up where music is as important as movies. Total amp budget approx £2000-£2200 give or take. AV amp preouts into the stereo amp etc etc.

I went to the PMC dealer (not my usual AV dealer I hasten to add, they are further afield and new to me) and when I exaplained my plan and the combination I wanted to test, he basically told me I was going about it completely the wrong way, and should be spending the whole lot on a better AV amp, he said the only one worth looking at for music is the Arcam AVR600 at £3000. Now this not only blows my budget, but goes against everything I thought I had learnt on these forums!

So my question is, given the same overall budget, should I spend the whole lot on the AV amp, or buy AV and stereo amp for the same  budget.

If I would be better spending the whole lot on the AV, would you go for the Arcam, or would the Yamaha Z7 be almost as good? Cos I can afford that more easily (ie its within budget) if its really the best option! But surely that wont be as good for stereo as a mid level stereo amp? Or am I missing something!

If everyone who reads this can take the time  just to answer 'AV' or 'AV plus stereo' like a straw poll kind of thing, that would be great (and hopefully interesting for others too!). Reasons why one or the other also a bonus.

Cheers everyone.

A

Anonymous

If you listen to a lot of music then the Roksan/Yamaha combo is the way to go. Also, do you really want to spend three times your budget?

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
why not think about going down the Arcam AV9/p7 route. Sevenoaks has them on sale for 2500 quid instead down from 6600. the model is slightly out of date but you are getting an incredible piece of kit that will blow away the musical quality of the AVR600

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/store/southeast/brighton/3636/content.aspx

A

Anonymous

Onkyo 876 and PMC speakers, Russ Andrews or Clearer Audio Mains cables (about £85), Kimber 4TC speaker cable for fronts.

500va BT conditioning unit off flee bay. (when you can find one)

Then don't think you will be too interested in getting a Cyrus Amp!

The Arcam AV9/p7 route with its seperate power supply will be excellent providing you can live with its processing formats.

A

Anonymous

Trevor, supposing the mains supply is good, won't buying the mains paraphernalia be a waste of money?

A

Anonymous

Personally I have never lived in a house where it was.

Suppose if you live in the country, say 2 miles from your nearest neighbour, you have a dedicated spur so your HiFi is not on the house ring main circuits. Your Mains should be pretty clean.

Your car won't run well on contaminated petrol, neither does your equipment on contaminated Mains.
Manufactures on better equipment put the power supply sections in separate boxes, away from the delicate pre-amp circuits due to the noise generated by them.
The noise floor is much higher off a typical house mains feed as well.

A

Anonymous

Is it possible to test the quality of your mains? As in a readily accessible test that doesn't cost a fortune?

A

Anonymous

Why not test with the 60 day money back offer that they do on various leads and things?

The best units to test with are free, your ears!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Great suggestions so far, keep em coming!

ÿ

The Arcam especially looks great, however I would have to buy a new BluRay then too, so getting more expensive by the minute!

ÿ

Not the biggest Onkyo fan (although only limited testing admittedly), found the one i tried quite aggresive sounding, if that makes sense. It was only the 706 though.

ÿ

What about the principle though, the consensus so far seems to be to spend the whole amount on an AV amp and not bother with stereo amplification, so agreeing with the dealer. is that what everyone thinks?ÿ

A

Anonymous

gregvet:
Great suggestions so far, keep em coming!

The Arcam especially looks great, however I would have to buy a new BluRay then too, so getting more expensive by the minute!

Not the biggest Onkyo fan (although only limited testing admittedly), found the one i tried quite aggresive sounding, if that makes sense. It was only the 706 though.

What about the principle though, the consensus so far seems to be to spend the whole amount on an AV amp and not bother with stereo amplification, so agreeing with the dealer. is that what everyone thinks?

No, definitely not! You're best off sticking with your original idea, as in terms of sound quality, a stereo amp will always beat an AV amp up to roughly three or four times its price.

That said, there's also the convenience factor, and its definitely easier to live with just one amp rather than two. I'd do some listening again at this point, perhaps at another dealer. Don't forget expensive AV amps aren't that easy to move, especially at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS