Zipping WAV files

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have any views on what affect zipping/compressing wav files has. This isn't the same as MP3 conversion, the orginal data can be 100% restored, there's just a small amount of computing power required to do it as the file is played ?

John Duncan

FLAC, Apple Lossless and WMA Lossless are the same idea as ZIP - lossless compression of the data, which saves space but allows WAV-quality playback. iTunes will rip and play apple lossless (obv), FLAC is available from other media players like Foobar, EAC, dbPoweramp blah blah, and Windows Media Player will do WMA Lossless. They are all equivalent sonically* so it depends on your choice of media player and whether you want to stream it to another client, as not all wireless streamers support all lossless formats.

*discuss

A

Anonymous

Ahh, thanks didn't realise that. Its just I have a lot of wav files on my disk and windows can automatically (as part of file system) compress them. From my point of view thats handy. But will consider these others too.

John Duncan

Surfidea:Ahh, thanks didn't realise that. Its just I have a lot of wav files on my disk and windows can automatically (as part of file system) compress them. From my point of view thats handy. But will consider these others too.

Yeah file system compression isn't the way forward - if you use iTunes to play these WAVs (for example), and have rip rate changed to "Apple Lossless", you can right click on them and "Create Apple Lossless Version" - then you can delete the WAVs in the knowledge that the apple lossless versions provide bit-equivalent playback.

If you use another media player then it will almost certainly have an equivalent mechanism to create FLACs or WMA Lossless files.

A

Anonymous

thanks thats v.helpful - I'm using j.river and it has flac.

A

Anonymous

Would WAV files sound better than those of the lossless (compressed) variety (regardless whether Apple, FLAC, WMA, etc.)?

John Duncan

So "No" then?
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts