Yamaha RXA 1070

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
So I have just bought this amp to pair with monitor audio silver 200 5.1 with monitor audio CT265 in ceiling speakrs to create a 5.1.2 setup. I haven't configure it all yet (still waiting for the centre and floor stands to show up) but wanted to get some feedback on the amp. It wasn't what I was going to buy but Richer Sounds did a sales job on me...

Let me know if you went for the amp or what people have heard about it?

Michael

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
michael.seigal said:
So I have just bought this amp to pair with monitor audio silver 200 5.1 with monitor audio CT265 in ceiling speakrs to create a 5.1.2 setup. I haven't configure it all yet (still waiting for the centre and floor stands to show up) but wanted to get some feedback on the amp. It wasn't what I was going to buy but Richer Sounds did a sales job on me...

Let me know if you went for the amp or what people have heard about it?

Michael
hi I’ve got a Yamaha 1070 it’s a great Av amplifier I’ve found no issues with it but I only use mine for films only and not the music side as I have a proper 2 channel stereo amplifier hooked up with the Yamaha 1070 for music .

what you might find is the YPAO that measures the room is not that great as it may tell you that your speakers are out of phase when they are not and some of the measurements might not be correct and the YPAO will set all of your speakers to larger you need to set them to small in order for the subwoofer to work .

you will need to update the Yamaha 1070 when you get it too and there is a online manual for the Yamaha 1070 on PDF or download the app of iTunes which is called Av setup guide and the manual there too .

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks that's really helpful. My floorstanding front's don't show up until next week so I won't be able to run through the setup until then.

I have already updated the firmware via a wired ethernet connection and had a look at some of the speaker settings. I noticed the large and small options and also - I have my sub but with the 2 seconds I checked it, couldn't get it to work with a test tone, that being said I didn't really bother doing much of the setup because I'm waiting for the other speakers to come!

Michael

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
michael.seigal said:
Thanks that's really helpful. My floorstanding front's don't show up until next week so I won't be able to run through the setup until then.

I have already updated the firmware via a wired ethernet connection and had a look at some of the speaker settings. I noticed the large and small options and also - I have my sub but with the 2 seconds I checked it, couldn't get it to work with a test tone, that being said I didn't really bother doing much of the setup because I'm waiting for the other speakers to come!

Michael
if you keep scrolling through the speaker levels list you should come to a section saying subwoofer and it should give you the test tone and there is a section but can’t quite remember of the top of my head but speaker placement were you select or the other were it says 5.1 , 71 or it might be in the same menu where you select speaker size .

I can always check tomorrow to be 100% sure

do not be tempted to select big for your fronts even though they are big floor standing speakers it’s only for full frequency speakers that can be used as big and there are not many speakers that are full frequency speakers so small all a around and setup you sub in the AV menu as you need the subwoofer to takeover the bass duties so in the Av speaker menu you will get to set the crossovers which I’ve left mine at 80hz all around .

if you going to listen to music and use the streaming function , internet radio I would leave the internet lead in then you will not get drop outs when it comes to streaming music though the Yamaha 1070

Yamaha and Monitor Audio pair very well.

As suggested, if you have a subwoofer, set your speakers to "small" so that the lower frequencies are transmitted to the subwoofer. Otherwise, your subwoofer will be no better than a coffee table.

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I have only set the rears to small currently. Will adjust this all tonight - what's interesting is the sub has definitely been doing some work. I checked out mad max for the dolby atmos track and it sounded great. Tonight I'm going to watch guardians of the galaxy 2 4k with the atmos track and see how that goes. Will adjust the speakers to small before hand.

So far loving the amp though took me awhile to figure out how to get it to decode the audio correctly from my sony UBP x800 as it was sending it out as PCM. What's interesting about the settings on that is that it's really not clear how to get it to send out bitstream information, thanks google there! Now it clearly shows DD/Atmos etc. Been playing around with DSP not sure how much it's really adding over the surround decode modes, though also have set it for standard theatre and might try the sci fi movie setting tonight with Guardians to see what it really adds.

Thanks all!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I can’t tell what the difference are between the different DSP modes to be honest I am used to old school Av amplifiers saying Dolby digital , Dolby EX and so on and why they changed it to how it is now I do not understand .

But glad you like the 1070

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't really tell what changing the DPS adds.

One thing I have noticed is that I feel I need to tweak the rears and ceilings compared to the YPAO settings. After watching guardians my wife and I both felt the suround effects weren't as pronounced as we would expect.

Also the amp set the ceilings to 110Hz as a small speaker. I set them to 80Hz along with all the other speakers as small - is there any reason the Atmos speakers should be set higher?

There are a lot of settings to play with on this thing and I feel I will be tweaking a lot until I'm completely happy, also the speakers are brand new so will probably need to revist after I have run them in properly.

Michael

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
michael.seigal said:
I couldn't really tell what changing the DPS adds.

One thing I have noticed is that I feel I need to tweak the rears and ceilings compared to the YPAO settings. After watching guardians my wife and I both felt the suround effects weren't as pronounced as we would expect.

Also the amp set the ceilings to 110Hz as a small speaker. I set them to 80Hz along with all the other speakers as small - is there any reason the Atmos speakers should be set higher?

There are a lot of settings to play with on this thing and I feel I will be tweaking a lot until I'm completely happy, also the speakers are brand new so will probably need to revist after I have run them in properly.

Michael
I would just set 80Hz all the way round I would buy your self a SPL meter to measure the levels your self and a tape measure that’s the old why of doing things and still the best way as I do not like using the YPAO as it’s not accurate and gives you the wrong size speaker sizes but Yamaha says to use the YPAO first and then correct what’s wrong your self .

in regards of the backs I would up the levels how you like it as your meant to set the levels at 75db on the white noise test that the Yamaha gives out as a guide line which the SPL meter will tell you how loud the white noise level is just do not over do it with the back levels as theses will over take the fronts which you do not want to do .

And I up my centre a little bit more then my main L+Rs but not by much .

TRENDING THREADS