Yamaha RX-V675 versus RX-A2020

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been following this website for a while, reading reviews and forum, but now I have a question of my own, regarding which AV receiver to choose.

I have bought the Yamaha RX-V675 receiver two months ago, for the nice price of 394 euros. I do like the receiver, but I think I can get more out of my speakers (Klipsch RF-82 MK I) with a better receiver. So right now the RX-A2020 is available for 949 euros, which is a good price I think. I have read nothing but good things about this receiver. The store is willing to take my RX-V675 back for 350 euros, which allows me to upgrade to the RX-A2020 for 599 euros extra.

Still, I am in doubt whether this upgrade is worth the extra cash. For me, the main reason to upgrade is to improve sound quality, and to get cleaner sound at high power levels. What do you think about the upgrade being worth the extra cash?

Thanks!

Laurens

I've never heard your speakers. Yamaha RX-A2020 is significantly better than RX-V675. It belongs to the superior Aventage range. It depends on your speakers if it is revealing enough to bring out the difference. Ask your dealer for a home demo so you can compare.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I will indeed try to have a home audition first.

Do you think speaker cables are going to make a difference with this gear? Currently my speakers are connected with 4x1.5mm2 cables (bi-amped). Wires are separated with a thin isolation band. Would an upgrade to, let's say, 2.5mm2 or another brand make any audible difference?

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have both receivers in my living room now for testing. First things I notice about the sound is that the mid and high ranges are much clearer with the RX-A2020, and the bass is more accurate. However, it should have much more power (140 watts versus 90 watts on 8 ohms). Still, when I measure the decibels with a decibelmeter with both receivers at -10dB and the same track, the decibel level is exactly the same for the RX-V675 as it is for the A2020. This I don't really get... where do I notice the power increase if output volume is the same?

A 900 watt receiver is twice as powerful as a 90-watt one. So the 140 watts receiver is less than 2-3% more powerful than the 90-watt one. Ignore the specs and concentrate only on the sound quality. You're trying to compare the speed of a Nissan Micra and a Mercedes E class at 60mph. Both will be exactly as fast, but which engine will be more at ease and which engine will be more comfortable at that speed? It's the performance that matters.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Haha, I like the analogy. Thanks for the insight. Sound is indeed much better, guess I will do some more comparing and try out the YPAO.

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I own a Yamaha RX-A2020, and my main 2 Speakers are the well-known Yamaha NS777

I am getting clear and sweet sounds from my speakers. Also please dont forget that this Receiver has another Zone 2 and Zone 3, (which i use for the other two rooms), so in all you are actually getting 3 Receivers for the price of one! I dont nknow if the Model Yamaha RX-675 also has another TWO Zones to feed or not. If it doesnt, then it is obvious the advantages you will get with RX-A2020!!! And therefore you should go for it. Again I dont know the watts per channel of RX-675, but if they are less than 140 watts of RX-2020, then again the advantages are obvious!!!

I hope I have been of some help to you by giving you the information. Thanks.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Another RX-A2020 owner here. You won't be disappointed if you upgrade to the 2020, it's an awesome piece of kit. If it's going into a cabinet, make sure you check all the dimensions, because it's on the large size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts