Yamaha RX-V565 or Sony STR-DH800

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, it is my sons 18th Birthday in a couple of days. I have promised him Home Cinema sound system. He will be playing through it: XBox 360 Elite, Cable TV (Standard NTL box) DVD Player (old and cheap) Music (lots), various stuff from PC and occasionally PS3. I have very limited budget but kinda decided on Jamo A102HCS5 speakers (£249 @ RS) and was going to get Sony STR-DH800 amp, saw today offer of Yamaha RX-V565 at £249. Had original concerns of Sony & Jamo being over bright so now wondering if I should buy the Yamaha? reviews seem to be mixed regarding sound and build quality and also concerned about being unable to assign Optical & HDMI inputs to same source and what appear to be loads fewer inputs than the sony. I know almost nothing about this stuff (only what I have read recently on the web) Any views, advice or comments would be massively appreciated

Thanks

Please don't advise buying much dearer kit, really don't have the pennies

A

Anonymous

Neither

How about the pioneer VSX 819 ?

I got it for 250.00 delivered

And its now cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VSX-819H-K-5-Channel-AV-Receiver-with-HDMI-HD-Audio_W0QQitemZ120529247945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item1c101a5ec9

A

Anonymous

New amp and speakers with old dvd player? Is a blu-ray player included in the upgrade?

A

Anonymous

Hi, like I said, limited budget, I also spent a load on a TV for him ( : so for now (at least until maybe Easter - or even Xmas) he will have to make do with carrying his PS3 upstairs when he wants to watch BlueRays ....

A

Anonymous

Hi, the only time I read about the VSX 819 it was being unfavorably compared to the Onkyo 507, so I discounted it - was i wrong? how do you think it's better?

A

Anonymous

Alex50:Hi, the only time I read about the VSX 819 it was being unfavorably compared to the Onkyo 507, so I discounted it - was i wrong? how do you think it's better?

I think its better because I own it... LOL

I think it sounds good and it was so so easy to set up and I am a noob as well.

Never had one problem.

A

Anonymous

Alex50:Hi, the only time I read about the VSX 819 it was being unfavorably compared to the Onkyo 507, so I discounted it - was i wrong? how do you think it's better?

The 819 is a better amp than the 507. Perhaps you may want to consider a used Onkyo TX-SR605 instead, considering your budget? This is a cracking amp and is superior to the Yamaha and Sony you mentioned.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry to bump this, but surprised at how few people replied. Any more input really would be appreciated,

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Yamaha is pretty nice with me - I own a 765 and the sound and functions are good. I've seen the Sony STR-DH1000 on sale for less than the DH800...

Can you just ask the salesman to try both side by side?

A

Anonymous

Alex50:
Hi, sorry to bump this, but surprised at how few people replied. Any more input really would be appreciated,

Thanks

Doesn't sound like you appreciate the input given already.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Alex50:

Thanks

I think most would choose the pioneer for 240.00 delivered, its best by far for your cash.

Yes if you want to spend 300.00 go for the sony 1000, but thats up to you, you claim you have spend enough already, and I offered the best amp available for 240.00.

its the best for under 250.00 at a rrp of 400.00

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Alex,

I have recently purchased a set Jamo A102's. I will be looking at the Sony STR-DN1000 this weekend. From reviews i don't believe there is much difference sound wise form the 800 series. Regards Pioneer amp- I was recommended that this was too aggressive for the little Jamo's so try before you buy. Also, think about you're distance from speakers, if you are playing games the sound would perhaps be better cleaner and refined rather than sharp and rough especially over longer playing periods. May'be also have a look at the Yamaha -think 345,its at Richer Sounds for £229. Good review on Cnet.

Lastly, a quick Google didn't show the Pioneer VSX- 819 for less than £300. Canada 16- Where is it £250? Would like to try one to see for myself as i like the Pioneer styling.

Alex please let me know what you purchase and you're valued opinion. Once i have my amp i will post my opinion too. Get there in the end.....

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

canada16:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VSX-819H-K-5-Channel-AV-Receiver-with-HDMI-HD-Audio_W0QQitemZ120529247945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item1c101a5ec9

I hate quoting myself this is were I bought mine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts