Yamaha DSP-AX763 Home Theatre Amplifier

grahamboyd

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I am very interested in the Yamaha DSP-AX763 surround sound amplifier. This will drive my centre and rear speakers. However my front two speakers I shall still use also for Hi Fi (CD -Marantz 63SE) and Tuner (Arcam Alpha 5) as well as the surround sound system. I want to drive them off my Cyrus 3 Amplifier (1995) as I think the quality of sound from playing CDs through this is superb.

When using the suround system for watching films all the signal will come into the Yamaha and I need a pre out to take the signal to front two speakers via the Cyrus 3 Amp. Basically I have been advised this works but a Pre out is needed. Quite a lot of AV surround sound Amplifiers do not have this pre out. Can anyone please confirm that this Yamaha model has this.

Thanks

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
This model does have the full range of pre-outs which of course includes the front two. I 'pre-out' my front two channels using this amp.

grahamboyd

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for both replies.

mattjax05 - You say you pre out your front two channels - do you do this for the same reason as me - to connect to another amp to drive your front speakers searately and so you can also use them separately for your Hi Fi.

Also what do you think of the quality of this Yamaha amp - are you happy with the sound from your speakers?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Graham

Yes, my set up is the same as you are trying to achieve. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640c(v2) and 640a(v2) for music playing, my front two speakers are Monitor Audio BR5s. I have not compared the stereo sound between the 640a and Yahama DSPAX763 but should imagine the CA does a better job!!

My surround speakers are Monitor Audio BRLCR (center speaker) and two Monitor Audio BR1s (rears) - no sub as yet. Playing a DVD from my Denon 1930 I am really impressed with the surround, although I have only tested DolbyD and DTS so cant comment on HD audio. The Yahama is very user friendly, easy to set up and easy to amend settings when required. The quality of this amp is second-to-none bearing in my it initially had a retail guide price of £600 - I paid £299 for mine from Richer Sounds.

I thought id tell you my set up in its entirety as the sound is dependant on every component.

Hope this helps

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05:
Hi Graham

Yes, my set up is the same as you are trying to achieve. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640c(v2) and 640a(v2) for music playing, my front two speakers are Monitor Audio BR5s. I have not compared the stereo sound between the 640a and Yahama DSPAX763 but should imagine the CA does a better job!!

My surround speakers are Monitor Audio BRLCR (center speaker) and two Monitor Audio BR1s (rears) - no sub as yet. Playing a DVD from my Denon 1930 I am really impressed with the surround, although I have only tested DolbyD and DTS so cant comment on HD audio. The Yahama is very user friendly, easy to set up and easy to amend settings when required. The quality of this amp is second-to-none bearing in my it initially had a retail guide price of £600 - I paid £299 for mine from Richer Sounds.

I thought id tell you my set up in its entirety as the sound is dependant on every component.

Hope this helps

Your results would improve fourfold with a subwoofer - the Bronze one or similar.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
All in good time, lack of £s is the only reason.

BTW I just found out that the original retail price of the Yamaha was £499.95 not £600.

TRENDING THREADS