Yamaha 863 or Onkyo 876? Newbie needs advice!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new in the hifi world, but I did my research and listened to my choices in a few HiFi stores. Speakers were easy for me, I fell for the Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanders and a RS-LCR center speaker. Now I have some old sub and surround speakers lying around to fill up the 5.1 space until I can upgrade those, but I am still undecided about the receiver...

In store I thought the Yamaha 863 sounded best, but after some more surfing I think the Onkyo 876 is very nice as well. Can anyone advice me if these two are in the same league? Price is not much of an issue, I'd rather choose the best receiver if it costs a little bit more; but is the Onkyo much better then the Yamaha? If I read the reviews here the Yamaha is cheaper and probably better; but the guy in the store said that the Onkyo 806 was much better then the Yamaha 863, and I understand the 876 is better than the 806... My mind is so twisted about this choice that I decided to ask for help here! Thanks in advance!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
When the Awards were given out, the RRP on the Yamaha was £600, while it was £1,000 for the 876 so I don't think they would be in the same category personally - although they are actually not far off in price now (around £600 and £700 now respectively so the Onkyo has come down a lot). I have no idea which is better, since you've heard the 863, it's probably a good idea to have a listen to the 876 and see which you prefer. At the closer end of £1,000, you could also look at the Yamaha RXV1900 and the Onkyo 906 which will be another step up in quality.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

When the Awards were given out, the RRP on the Yamaha was £600, while it was £1,000 for the 876 so I don't think they would be in the same category personally - although they are actually not far off in price now (around £600 and £700 now respectively so the Onkyo has come down a lot). I have no idea which is better, since you've heard the 863, it's probably a good idea to have a listen to the 876 and see which you prefer. At the closer end of £1,000, you could also look at the Yamaha RXV1900 and the Onkyo 906 which will be another step up in quality.

Thanks, great advice. I did listen to the RXV1900 and it sounded a little bit better, but at the time I thought the little difference (only in music, movie didn't sound any better than the 863) wasn't worth the extra 300 in price. Also the sales guy told me that the RXV1900 was more suited for listening to music, while the 863 was more suited for movie watching/listening. I don't know the truth about that though, but the Yamaha site states that the 1900 doesn't do any video scaling, and I would like my AV receiver to be able to have one HDMI cable to my plasma, and scale everything through the receiver to my plasma screen. I get the feeling the 1900 is on the same level as the Onkyo 876, but the 1900 is indeed more for listening music in stereo. But I can be dead wrong here
emotion-7.gif

@Lost Angeles; yes I am already saving for the RSW12 sub
emotion-2.gif
. I will replace my surrounds last.

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I had the same problem. The 863 or 876. I auditioned them both and went for the 876. That was because I preferred the sound it gave. It is very musical and is breathtaking with movies. I found that it sounded a bit strangled and compressed to begin with but after 3 weeks of use. It is very open and detailed. I also use a Merlin Blackwidow mains cable which adds a bit of depth and clarity to the sound. I would go with what suits you and what you prefer. But there are so many good amps out there that are so closely matched, it is very difficult indeed!

A

Anonymous

The reviews indicate that the Yamaha 863 and Denon 2809 are both "better" than the Onkyo 876. However, the Onkyo 876 is in a different class compared to the Yamaha. The Yamaha 1900 and Denon 2809/3808A should be in that similar class. Overall, if you're just looking at features, then the Onkyo 876 should have the edge. Also it has 2 HDMI outs compared to only one in the other models.

A

Anonymous

So basically I can sum it up as follows: I am looking at 2 price/quality levels now;

The Yamaha 863 and Onko 806 are on same level (price/quality). Both more suited for surround/movie watching than stero music, but both can handle music of course.

The Yahama V1900 and Onkyo 876 are one level higher (quality at least). The V1900 is more for music listening, the 876 more for movies.

All of them do good video upscaling to 1080p, have all the options you might need, but the 876 probably has most for video watching, the V1900 for music listening. Onkyo is THX certified (but I don't hold that in too high value). I think I can rule out the 806, as the 876 is one step higher and within budget. So all I have to do is listen to the 876, 863 and V1900 and pick the one I like best paired with the Monitor Audio speakers. Can't wait to do that
emotion-2.gif

Thanks all for your replies!

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
I had 863, and have 876 right now. 876 is in another league. It is more powerfull, more musical, better bass and better component. 876 manage better. But these are all my opinion, listen and then decide for yourself.

A

Anonymous

I have called the local dealer (RAF A'dam) and made an appointment to listen to the V1900 and 876 with the MA speakers, which they will setup next week for me. Luckily I heard they put the V1900 on offer starting today, as well as the RS6 and RS-LCR speakers
emotion-2.gif
. I am pretty sure I will walk out of the store with a nice receiver-speaker combo next week! I'll keep you informed on my final choice.

A

Anonymous

Hi again,

After listening and looking my choice is the following:

Yamaha RX-V1900, 2 x Monitor Audio RS6 front speakers, 1 x Monitor Audio RSLCR center speaker.

I'll start saving now for a better sub and surround speakers
emotion-1.gif
. Thanks for the advice in here!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts