Yamaha 863 & NAD C370

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’ve recently purchased a Yamaha 863 AV amp and intend to use it for DVD, Sky digital and FM/AM radio but want to keep playing my CDs through my 2 channel amp (NAD C370), both utilising the same two front speakers. I’ve read a few threads on how to do this but I’m obviously doing something fundamentally wrong (or technically impossible based on my gear) as it won’t play a source connected to the C370, but it will to the 863.

In order to connect the pre-outs of Yamaha to the main input on the NAD you need to remove “jumpers” on the NAD (bridging sockets labelled pre-out 1 and main in). From what I understand this is effectively de-coupling the pre and power stages of the NAD and this is probably why a directly connected source doesn’t produce an output to the speakers.

What are my options apart from buying another amp? I have considered just leaving the NAD out of the equation but its music reproduction is so much better than the Yamaha. Is there any other way to connect the two together to achieve what I want?

Thanks

David

daveh75

Its because your only using the power stage of the amp by taking out the link,and the cd player is connected to the pre-amp stage obviously.You need to replace the link and use it as an intergrated amp.

Then set up as follows

1) The front left and right preouts of the yamaha go to a line-input on the stereo amp (aux for example).Instead of the mains as you was doing.
2) Set the volume of your stereo amp to about half way and run your speaker calibration routine on the receiver. Then always use this volume setting on the stereo amp whenever you watch AV - overall volume is handled by the receiver.
3) When watching AV, have both amps on and select the input that the yamaha is connected to on the stereo amp(aux for example).
4) When listening to music,only the stereo amp needs to be on, so you select the source thatsrequired(in your case cd)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts