XB1 and PS4 Audio

Tonestar1

Or you could add one of these

31lko2c3-UL.jpg

£12 from amazon but you may be able to find cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0074JZ8ZW

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
I'm talking about connecting the console to your hifi/AV system for sound.

yeh I got that, but there's loads of ways you could connect it up for sound using convertors like tonestar1 has shown, or using the output jacks that you would plug the headsets in to.

Nothing a quick google wouldn't have turned up.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
Nah, don't want to fiddle with headsets etc, seems I need to rethink my entire hifi system. Also, I'm a newbie to consoles.

I never said using a headset, i said you could use the connections where the headsets are meant to go in to.... :wall:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
cheeseboy said:
manicm said:
Nah, don't want to fiddle with headsets etc, seems I need to rethink my entire hifi system. Also, I'm a newbie to consoles.

I never said using a headset, i said you could use the connections where the headsets are meant to go in to.... :wall:

How well that would work is anyone's guess...

It would give you perfectly adequate stereo audio, at a guess.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
manicm said:

The head sets connect into an audio output on the game controller (which is wireless), so you coudn't really connect this to your hifi. There's no analogue outputs at all on the consoles.

I'm guessing both Sony and Microsoft thought the numbers of people who would need them are very few in number i.e. most people either connect via HDMI or optical to a TV or an AV receiver. So, in the pursuit of cutting costs / making room for slimmer consoles, analogue outputs have been removed -it's getting increasingly common now. Best bet I guess is a cheap (or expensive if you wish) DAC with an optical input.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
professorhat said:
The head sets connect into an audio output on the game controller (which is wireless),

I know, I said so a little way up ;)

professorhat said:
so you coudn't really connect this to your hifi.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/08/youll_be_able_to_listen_to_game_audio_through_the_ps4_controllers_headphone_jack

so what's stopping you from connecting the contoller to the hifi? That's all I was trying to get across if somebody just wanted to listen to something as there are no other analogue outputs... Admitidly, if you want to play a game as well, you might need a ruddy long cable :D

professorhat said:
I'm guessing both Sony and Microsoft thought the numbers of people who would need them are very few in number i.e. most people either connect via HDMI or optical to a TV or an AV receiver. So, in the pursuit of cutting costs / making room for slimmer consoles, analogue outputs have been removed -it's getting increasingly common now. Best bet I guess is a cheap (or expensive if you wish) DAC with an optical input.

yep, totally agree :D

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
so what's stopping you from connecting the contoller to the hifi? That's all I was trying to get across if somebody just wanted to listen to something as there are no other analogue outputs... Admitidly, if you want to play a game as well, you might need a ruddy long cable :D

Hadn't realised that was what you were suggesting - pretty far from a solution IMHO, but I guess it's technically possible. As the OP says, the only realistic way to do it is to use an external DAC (even if it's just a little one like the one linked to above by Tonestar).

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Many TV's will have an analogue 'Audio Out' on the rear panel, so connect via HDMI, turn the volume down on the TV, then connect some phone leads from the TV's 'Audio Out' to the Hi-Fi's 'Aux In'.

manicm

professorhat said:
cheeseboy said:
manicm said:

The head sets connect into an audio output on the game controller (which is wireless), so you coudn't really connect this to your hifi. There's no analogue outputs at all on the consoles.

Which is why I said I may have to rethink my whole system. While an irDAC is tempting I can get a decent AV amp for not much more! I've only been considering a console to replace my laptop for gaming, which is otherwise still perfect and performant for my work - it runs Win 8.1 fast. So I was weighing up the cost of getting a new decent computer for gaming against keeping my laptop and a PS4/XB1.

Need to think...

daveh75

mr malarky said:
Many TV's will have an analogue 'Audio Out' on the rear panel, so connect via HDMI, turn the volume down on the TV, then connect some phone leads from the TV's 'Audio Out' to the Hi-Fi's 'Aux In'.

Many?

That's a feature that's becoming a rarity on TVs

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
Which is why I said I may have to rethink my whole system. While an irDAC is tempting I can get a decent AV amp for not much more!

But then any old DAC will do won't it - if you're considering going via the TV's analogue output, I'm guessing SQ for the console isn't a huge priority? So no need to spring for an rDAC when the small DAC Tonestar1 linked to will do the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts