Wrong Info on review cambridge Audio Stream magic 6?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
At the top in the Against section, it says won't s stream 24-bit/192khz files over a network..

Then in the main review section its say can stream Hi res up to 24-bit/192khz over a network..

:? Am Confused WHF

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the word wireless is missing from one of them. Seeing as many people report problems streaming hi resolution wirelessly could it be that one is a wireless network and one is wired? Still, you'd probably want that made clear.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You could. On the other hand you could just get the relevent information from the CA website:

"The Stream Magic 6 supports a wide range of compressed formats; MP3, AAC,

WMA and Ogg Vorbis CODEC types are all supported, plus for true audiophile

use it also supports either uncompressed PCM (in a WAV container) or losslessly

compressed FLAC, both can contain from 16-bits/44.1kHz from CDs right up to

24-bit/96kHz for better than CD quality from suitable download sites."

"The Stream Magic 6 can be setup to stream via the simple setup USB1.1 or the high sample rate

24-bit/192kHz via USB2.0. Also note that the SP DIF co-axial and TOSLink inputs

are capable of high sample rates up to 24-bit/192kHz, but your source equipment

and interconnect cables must be capable of this sample rate to achieve this."

"With the Stream Magic 6 switched to USB Audio 2.0 the Stream Magic 6 works

with the native Mac OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) or above Audio 2.0 driver and can accept

audio up to 24-bit/192kHz."

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
You could. On the other hand you could just get the relevent information from the CA website:

"The Stream Magic 6 supports a wide range of compressed formats; MP3, AAC,

WMA and Ogg Vorbis CODEC types are all supported, plus for true audiophile

use it also supports either uncompressed PCM (in a WAV container) or losslessly

compressed FLAC, both can contain from 16-bits/44.1kHz from CDs right up to

24-bit/96kHz for better than CD quality from suitable download sites."

"The Stream Magic 6 can be setup to stream via the simple setup USB1.1 or the high sample rate

24-bit/192kHz via USB2.0. Also note that the SP DIF co-axial and TOSLink inputs

are capable of high sample rates up to 24-bit/192kHz, but your source equipment

and interconnect cables must be capable of this sample rate to achieve this."

"With the Stream Magic 6 switched to USB Audio 2.0 the Stream Magic 6 works

with the native Mac OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) or above Audio 2.0 driver and can accept

audio up to 24-bit/192kHz."

I'm not really too knowledgable about these things, but this seems to refer to streaming from a computer rather than, say, a NAS over a network (wired or wireless). aptX is said to be limited to CD quality.

A

Anonymous

Just to confirm, the Stream Magic 6 is compatible with FLAC/WAV/ALAC files up to and including 24-bit/96kHz resolution via UPnP and local USB media. When I say local USB media, I am referring to the front and rear type A USB connections, intended for use with USB hard drives, memory sticks, etc. Here, the Steam Magic 6 is performing the decoding and playback of highresolution CODECs.

With this in mind, as you have seen, I can confirm that the Stream Magic 6 will not play back 24-bit/192kHz files via UPnP or local USB media (USB hard drives, memory sticks, etc). This is stated in the specifications of the Stream Magic 6 which are available in the user manual and on our website.

The USB Audio input is a different connection entirely. This is the type B USB connection on the rear of the unit. The USB Audio input is simply a digital audio input (like the S/PDIF input) which will allow you to use the Stream Magic 6 as a high quality DAC and input up to 24-bit/192kHz files from an external source - i.e. your computer. Here the computer is doing the decoding and playback of the high resolution CODEC and the Stream Magic 6 is simply performing the high quality digital to analogue conversion.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
BenBeaumont said:
Just to confirm, the Stream Magic 6 is compatible with FLAC/WAV/ALAC files up to and including 24-bit/96kHz resolution via UPnP and local USB media. When I say local USB media, I am referring to the front and rear type A USB connections, intended for use with USB hard drives, memory sticks, etc. Here, the Steam Magic 6 is performing the decoding and playback of highresolution CODECs.

With this in mind, as you have seen, I can confirm that the Stream Magic 6 will not play back 24-bit/192kHz files via UPnP or local USB media (USB hard drives, memory sticks, etc). This is stated in the specifications of the Stream Magic 6 which are available in the user manual and on our website.

The USB Audio input is a different connection entirely. This is the type B USB connection on the rear of the unit. The USB Audio input is simply a digital audio input (like the S/PDIF input) which will allow you to use the Stream Magic 6 as a high quality DAC and input up to 24-bit/192kHz files from an external source - i.e. your computer. Here the computer is doing the decoding and playback of the high resolution CODEC and the Stream Magic 6 is simply performing the high quality digital to analogue conversion.

Am glade that has been made clear. Thanx .. Will be looking into it.

TRENDING THREADS