would this work ???

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i need a phono stage and would like more control for when later in the year im after new speakers

so i was looking at a 9p around £175 for a good one and a mm phono stage £75 either ca or project. = ££250

then a friend said why not get an arcam7r or 8r with remote in good condition for about £90-£130 and use as a phono stage and use a pre-amp and then use my arcam 9 as a power amp as money i can use for myself is tight for the next 3 months it sounds good.

but would it work what would happen in that ill have 2 volume knobs.

many thanks for any advise or suggestions simon

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
If you're planning to use the 7r/8r as just a Phono stage, you could use one of the fixed level tape/record outs into your Alpha 9, rather than the pre-out, thus preventing the need to juggle two volume controls. Not sure where that leaves you re: remote control..? did the 9 have one..?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the reply i have no remote for the 9 at the minute but it came from guy who had it from new but never used it and due to money sold it cheap but the remote was not passed over and then when i released it should have a remote he had slipt with his mrs and its not worth chasing up. so i was included that as bonus. i agree that i dont like the 2 volumes so i may just stay saving for a 9p and keep using my mates old rotel as phono amp. i was just testing the water in using 2 intergrated amps as a pre/power a freind said it can be done and works well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts