Would this make a decent starter setup?

slide13

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Interested in getting into vinyl for the first time and don't want to spend a ton until I'm sure I'll stick with it, but want a good enough base that it could grow with me for at least a little while if I do. So, I'm looking at the following:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon tt

Onkyo TX-8020 receiver

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers

Receiver has a phono in so I shouldn't need to worry about a phono stage and I've read good reviews on these Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers for a budget bookshelf style option.

Whole setup comes in at about $685.

Not bad I would imagine.

Cannot understand why you want a receiver rather than an amplifier but whatever.

The speakers are pretty good I am led to believe though have not heard them myself.

Hopefully you have budgeted for some decent speaker stands.

Unless you already have a vinyl collection I wonder why you want to get into it, it is an expensive business.

slide13

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
No particular reason for the receiver other than it's priced right, I've read good reviews, and it includes a phono stage. If ther eis a better amplifier option or amp and phono preamp option for around $175 or less than I'm certainly open to suggestion.

As to why I want to go vinyl...I do not have much in the way of any physical music, be it vinyl or cd. I also don't have a stereo other than a small Tivoli radio that I plug my iPhone into. Even my digital music collection isn't terribly vast. I've been getting into music more and more lately listening via online sources and would like to invest in a better way to listen at home that doesn't require a computer. I suppose I could go with CD instead of vinyl, but honestly vinyl appeals to me for emotional and non-logical reasons based on history, experience, etc.

slide13 said:
Interested in getting into vinyl for the first time and don't want to spend a ton until I'm sure I'll stick with it, but want a good enough base that it could grow with me for at least a little while if I do. So, I'm looking at the following:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon tt

Onkyo TX-8020 receiver

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers

Receiver has a phono in so I shouldn't need to worry about a phono stage and I've read good reviews on these Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers for a budget bookshelf style option.

Whole setup comes in at about $685.

i'd say don't spend your money just yet, have a look around at other possibilities, and second hand/ex demo stuff. don't rush. you may as well try and get it right first time.

my own opinion, as appealing as vinyl is, you will most likely find buying music easier on cd, so i would say try to find a decent 2nd hand cd player.

if you have no intention of using an av receiver for av, i would look for a stereo amp instead. you will usually end up with better sound that way.

read plenty of reviews, and try to work out what would work best for you.

i tried to spend as much as i could on speakers, as this for me has given the greatest improvements in sound quality. so, bare that in mind.

good luck, and enjoy the process.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts