Would like some advice for first set-up

hclarberg

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new here and would just like some advice for a budget set-up. I have around £250-300 to spend on a turntable and some speakers and, at the moment, am not concerned with getting the best there is right now as I just want to play the records that I have sitting around (which I will no doubt be adding to since I found a great record store in the area :p).

I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to what brands are the best and such. I was wondering if there's any stigma against turntables with built-in pre-amps and, if so, why that is?

I found the Audio Techinca AT LP60 which seems to be a decent turntable based on reviews I've watched and it's within my budget and leaves a fair amount for some speakers as well but I was just wondering what suggestions you guys might have for what turntables and speakers are the best for my budget.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, do you have an amplifier? I presume thatyou do, if not, you're going to have to get one.

It's a pretty small budget for tt and speakers and whilst the Audio Technica may well be useful with its built-in preamp, I think you would get better quality and be more satisfied with something like the Pro-Ject Essential for £200. That would leave you £100 for speakers which would get you some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's or something from the Tannoy Mercury range: both are pretty good.

If you haven't got an amp then you need to increase your budget; your amp would need a phono input for the wires from the turntable too.

hclarberg

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I don't have an amp (not sure how I managed to exclude that). I'll increase the budget a bit and edit my original post. Do you have any suggestions for amps?

Also I found an auction for a second hand Audio Technica AT-LP120 that's ending soon which looks pretty good right now; I assume it's just like a better version of the LP60?

Edit: Apparently I don't have authorisation to edit my first post so I'll do it here instead. I'll increase my budget to around £350-£400 instead (hope that's enough). Also I live in Sweden so I'm not sure how much that affects availability of some brands you guys might recommend.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hclarberg said:
Thanks for the response. I don't have an amp (not sure how I managed to exclude that). I'll increase the budget a bit and edit my original post. Do you have any suggestions for amps?

Also I found an auction for a second hand Audio Technica AT-LP120 that's ending soon which looks pretty good right now; I assume it's just like a better version of the LP60?

Edit: Apparently I don't have authorisation to edit my first post so I'll do it here instead. I'll increase my budget to around £350-£400 instead (hope that's enough). Also I live in Sweden so I'm not sure how much that affects availability of some brands you guys might recommend.

With that budget, I think you could start by looking at Richer Sounds and see what you fancy for the money available...or at least then you'll realise that you don't get that much. You could look on ebay for amplifiers and take a gamble with some older equipment like NAD's or Rotel's which were built to last. If you find anything just post the details on here and I'm sure you'll get a response regarding reliability and known issues with the equipment.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'd look at 2nd hand items ... But do your research

a quick peep on ebay (just looking at buy it now's)

Thorens TD150 Turntable for £150 buy it now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-Turntable-TD150-in-Working-Order-/301511109448?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item4633766b48

Sanyo Receiver JCX 2400k - £100 buy it now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SANYO-stereo-receiver-JCX-2400K-/171671369610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f869378a

B&W DM22 speakers - £99 Buy it Now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-DM22-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/221683697689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339d60c819

that works out to £349 ... a few pounds for some cabling and 2nd hand stands and my gutfeel says that you will have a pretty decent system that may be much better than brand new systems that cost several times more

in time to come, if you want to upgrade, you can sell these items for more than what you paid

hclarberg

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, I bought the Audio Techinca LP120 from the auction I mentioned previously. Got it for around £109 which isn't too bad I hope. Hopefully it works fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts